Michael Smith defeated Michael van Gerwen and Rob Cross on the final day of the Shanghai Darts Masters to claim his maiden World Series of Darts title.
The St Helens thrower took advantage of a sloppy performance from MVG to see off the world number one 8-4 in the semi-finals having earlier beaten Gary Anderson's conquer Royden Lam 8-5.
He then produced a fine display to blitz world champion Cross 8-2 to collect one of the biggest wins of his career and a cheque for £20,000.
"I have just won on stage and it feels amazing," Smith told pdc.tv.
"It's my third title of the year and after the Premier League I was getting doubts in my head whether I would get another chance to win a TV title, but I got it today.
"I didn’t play my best, but I was battling all the way, didn’t let my head drop and kept my spirits high."
The 27-year-old came out the blocks quickly in the final, racing in to a 4-0 lead over Cross, who was making his second final in a week after losing in the decider in Vegas seven days before.
Cross did manage to recover one of the breaks of throw to close the gap to two but a stunning 130 finish from Smith reopened the four leg lead, before the man from St.Helen's secured the final two of the match to seal the win.
Smith now heads to the World Matchplay filled with confidence as he looks to claim another title for his growing collection.
"Two years ago I made a semi-final and that was all that was on my record.
"I didn't get lucky in the Premier League – I was showing that I could battle, win matches and I finished second.
"I have a won a Pro Tour, World Series and the next is a major now. If I can do that in a calendar year then I will be happy."
Cross began the final day of action in style beating James Wade 8-3 with an average of 106 to progress to the last four.
There, the world champion met Peter Wright, emerging an 8-5 winner before running out of steam in the final against Smith.
"In fairness, Michael deserved that – I was useless," he admitted.
"At the same time, I can’t be disappointed. I felt knackered when I started and come the final I just didn’t have the energy left, I thought I was lucky to hit the dartboard."
Cross added: "I'm feeling happy with my game at the moment, but today was just about having no energy – there just wasn’t enough there to carry me through."
Shanghai Darts Masters: Results
Friday July 13
First Round (All games best of 11 legs)
- Gerwyn Price 6-2 Yuan Jun Liu
- James Wade 6-0 Hai Long Chen
- (2) Rob Cross 6-0 Chen Gan Liu
- (3) Peter Wright 6-3 Seigo Asada
- Michael Smith 6-0 Xiao Chen Zong
- Daryl Gurney 6-1 Lourence Ilagan
- (4) Michael van Gerwen 6-1 Li Hao Wen
- (1) Gary Anderson 5-6 Royden Lam
Saturday July 14
All games best of 15 legs
- Royden Lam 5-8 Michael Smith
- Michael van Gerwen 8-4 Daryl Gurney
- Rob Cross 8-3 James Wade
- Peter Wright 8-7 Gerwyn Price
- Michael Smith 8-4 Michael van Gerwen
- Rob Cross 8-5 Peter Wright
- Michael Smith 8-2 Rob Cross
World Series of Darts: 2018 Event Calendar
- German Darts Masters - May 25 (Winner: Mensur Suljovic)
- U.S. Darts Masters - July 3-7 (Winner: Gary Anderson)
- Shanghai Darts Masters - July 13-14
- Auckland Darts Masters - August 3-5
- Melbourne Darts Masters - August 10-12
- Brisbane Darts Masters - August 17-19
- World Series of Darts Finals - November 2-4