Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get even more surreal, Stephen Hendry and Jimmy White will meet at the Crucible for the first time since 1998.
The seven-time world champion won four of his titles against White in the early 1990s (1990, '92, 93, '94) as the Whirwind lost five finals in a row during an agonising run which also saw him beaten by John Parrott in the climax to the 1991 edition.
White, who also suffered final heartbreak against Steve Davis in 1984, may never have got his hands on the trophy his career so richly deserved, but he did at least manage to taste Crucible glory at long last during the 2019 World Senior Championship.
Now he's two wins from defending his crown after easing past Peter Lines 4-1 on Friday evening, and next up is a meeting with his old foe on Saturday afternoon as they bid to book a place in the final later that night.
Their last clash at snooker's spiritual home came in 1998 when the 'People's Champion' finally got one over on Hendry 10-4 in the first round - although he did also triumph 13-12 in the second round of 1988. Their other Crucible battle went Hendry's way 16-12 in the 1995 semi-finals.
The legendary Scotsman came from 3-1 down to beat Nigel Bond 4-3 in the first round on Thursday before he again rolled back the years to beat Aaron Canavan 4-1 on Friday.
White's top breaks during his two wins, which also included his 4-1 triumph over Joe Johnson, have been 90, 79, 73, 71, 62 and 56 while Hendry has weighed in with 81, 77, 75, 71, 60, 53.
Former two-time world champion Ken Doherty, who beat Hendry in the 1997 final, will meet fellow Irishman Michael Judge in the other semi-final after they beat Darren Morgan 4-2 and Wayne Cooper 4-1 respectively.
Fans can watch the action on the BBC iPlayer on Saturday from 12pm.
World Senior Championship Results
Stephen Hendry (Sco) 4-3 Nigel Bond (Eng)
Wayne Cooper (Eng) 4-2 Gary Filtness (Eng)
Michael Judge (Ire) 4-1 Dennis Taylor (NI)
Ken Doherty (Ire) 4-3 Rodney Goggins (Ire)
Jimmy White (Eng) 4-1 Joe Johnson (Eng)
Darren Morgan (Wal) 4-2 Patrick Wallace (NI)
Aaron Canavan (Jer) 4-3 Leo Fernandez (Ire)
Peter Lines (Eng) 4-0 Tony Knowles (Eng)
Stephen Hendry (Sco) 4-1 Aaron Canavan (Jer)
Michael Judge (Ire) 4-1 Wayne Cooper (Eng)
Ken Doherty (Ire) 4-2 Darren Morgan (Wal)
Jimmy White (Eng) 4-1 Peter Lines (Eng)
Semi-finals (Saturday 12pm)
Jimmy White (Eng) v Stephen Hendry (Sco)
Ken Doherty (Ire) v Michael Judge (Ire)
Final (Saturday 7pm)
More World Championship content
- Ronnie O'Sullivan career in highlights
- World Championship final report
- Play the Ronnie O'Sullivan quiz
- Watch all the Crucible maximum breaks
- World Snooker: Top 16 profiles
- World Snooker: Full results
- Richard Mann's story of the snooker season
- Sporting Life exclusive: Neil Robertson interview
- Nick Metcalfe on a decade of World Championship finals
- World Championship memories: White always a People's Champion
- World Championship memories: O'Sullivan's finest hour
- World Championship memories: Higgins prevails but Trump grows
- World Championship memories: Joe Johnson: The biggest shock
- World Championship memories: 1984 World Championship stands out
- Crucible champions: Part one
- Crucible champions: Part two
- Crucible champions: Part three