The weekend's football kicks off at Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday take on Middlesbrough. We've found an 11/5 best bet.
For details of advised bookmakers and each-way terms, visit our transparent tipping record
Sheffield Wednesday v Middlesbrough (Hillsborough, 1945 BST, Sky Sports Main Event)
Friday night football is set to entertain this week as two of the Sky Bet Championship's top-six sides come up against each other at Hillsborough.
Middlesbrough, as expected, have started the season in strong fashion under Tony Pulis while Wednesday have stormed up the table following a slow start.
Jos Luhukay's side sit in sixth and are currently on a four-game unbeaten run. The Owls are enjoying home comforts as they boast an unbeaten record in the league in front of their own supporters.
Middlesbrough, though, know how to pick up points on the road having lost just once away from the Riverside this season. They are the division's fourth best away side and have conceded just six in the league, the lowest in the Championship.
With little between these sides on paper the best value is in the corner markets, with both producing a high count at various points throughout the season including their fixtures immediately prior to the international break.
Wednesday's last five home games in the league have seen a huge 66 corners in total, an average of 13.2 per game. The visitors meanwhile have had ten corners in three of their last five in the league, with two of those games resulting in a total corner count of 14.
This is a direct product of how they both operate, Wednesday with pace in attack and Boro with a defence which is not only water-tight, but capable of scoring when they do create set-piece opportunities. As such it's a trend worth sticking with, and 9/5 about 12 or more corners looks the best bet.
For Wednesday, Adam Reach has already shown his eye for goal with stunning strikes while Lucas Joao, Fernando Forestieri and Marco Matias have proved to be incredibly problematic for opposition defences.
Britt Assombalonga leads the line well for Middlesbrough and has scored four times this season, with Martin Braithwaite and Ashley Fletcher contributing three goals each to go with those coming from the back.
It is tempting to back a Wednesday win based on form, but with Boro having conceded just four on the road a tight game is in store.
The Owls' last three at Hillsborough have ended in draws while Middlesbrough have picked up a single point against Hull and Leeds in recent away outings and a draw would probably suit both sides.
Score prediction: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Middlesbrough (Sky Bet odds: 5/1)
Best bet: Over 11.5 corners at 11/5
- In all competitions, Sheffield Wednesday have lost four of their last five games against Middlesbrough, drawing the other 0-0 in January 2018.
- Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday haven’t drawn a match at Hillsborough in any of their last 15 league meetings (nine Wednesday wins, six Middlesbrough wins).
- Lucas João, who scored a brace in Sheffield Wednesday’s win at Bristol City in their last match, has scored 14 league goals as a substitute since the start of the 2015-16 season - twice as many as any other Championship player in that time.
- Middlesbrough haven’t lost a Championship match when they’ve held a lead since March 2015 against Nottingham Forest – they are unbeaten in 67 Championship matches when they’ve gone ahead (W60 D7 L0).
- Sheffield Wednesday are one of five Championship teams unbeaten at home this season (also Brentford, Birmingham, Nottingham Forest and Wigan), winning two and drawing four of their six games at Hillsborough.
- Since conceding twice against Millwall on the opening day, Middlesbrough haven’t conceded a first half goal in any of their last 11 Championship matches.
Odds correct at 1115 BST (18/10/18)
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLifeFC
Related football links
- EFL Saturday early kick-off - Blackburn v Leeds betting tips
- Sky Bet EFL betting preview (3pm)
- EFL Saturday late kick-off - Derby v Sheffield United tips
- Sky Bet's manager specials
- Play Super 6
- Sky Sports Fantasy Football
- Free football betting tips
- Live scores and in-play odds
- Latest football fixtures
- Football results
- Latest Paper Talk