Sergio Aguero bagged two Premier League goal scoring records with his hat-trick as Man City ran riot against Aston Villa.
Sergio Aguero became the leading overseas scorer in Premier League history as his hat-trick in Manchester City's 6-1 rout of Aston Villa saw him move above Thierry Henry.
His hat-trick also gave him another record as his 12th Premier League treble saw him go above Alan Shearer in that particular category of goal scoring excellence.
Man City's demolition job moved them up into second place in the Premier League, 14 points behind league leaders Liverpool, as they played at their clinical and ruthless best in a truly dominant display.
Riyad Mahez got a couple and Gabriel Jesus another but it was the two-goal effort of Argentina striker Aguero that was of most significance as it made him the most prolific Premier League import in competition history.
He started the game one behind Arsenal legend Henry on 174 from 254 league games, but tied with the former Gunner with a fierce drive in the first half, before moving out on his own with a trademark turn and finish in the second.
He then completed his hat-trick to put Aguero on 177 Premier League strikes to his name from just 255 outings and he must surely go down as one of, if not the best foreign player the league has ever seen.
Aguero has also moved up the all-time Premier League scorer charts into joint-fourth alongside Chelsea boss Frank Lampard, with Andy Cole next on his hit-list as he sits in third on 187.
They're all way behind Wayne Rooney's tally of 208 and Alan Shearer's amazing record of 260.
For City as a team, it showed that they are well and truly back to their best after a minor blip after they took Manchester United apart in the Carabao Cup and followed up with this rout in the midlands.
Aston Villa 1–6 Manchester City Opta stats
- Manchester City striker Sergio Agüero became the highest-scoring non-British player in Premier League history with 177 goals, two ahead of Thierry Henry’s tally of 175.
- Man City striker Sergio Agüero netted his 12th Premier League hat-trick, making him the outright record holder for hat-tricks in the history of the competition, one ahead of Alan Shearer on 11.
- Aston Villa conceded six goals in a home league game for the first time since losing 6-0 against Liverpool in February 2016.
- Since the start of the 2016-17 season, Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City have scored 343 Premier League goals – 42 more than any other team.
- This was Pep Guardiola’s 300th top-flight league win as a manager – he has reached that tally in just 390 games with Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man City (W300 D53 L37).
- Manchester City’s David Silva has assisted 21 Premier League goals for teammate Sergio Agüero – the only player to assist another more in the competition is Frank Lampard for Didier Drogba (24 goals).
- Manchester City’s Riyad Mahrez is the only Premier League player to both score and assist 20 goals since the start of last season in all competitions (21 goals, 23 assists).
- In all competitions, Man City’s Kevin De Bruyne has assisted 15 goals this season – five more than any other Premier League player.
- Gabriel Jesus has started 76 matches for Manchester City in all competitions – he has been directly involved in 71 goals in those matches (54 goals, 17 assists).
- Aston Villa goalkeeper Ørjan Nyland became the first goalkeeper in Premier League history to concede six goals on his first start in the competition.
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLifeFC
Related football links
- LISTEN: Premier League podcast
- January Window: Done deals
- Transfer Window: Latest updates
- Watch: Gary's Premier League grades
- Lamouchi's honest FA Cup answer
- Football awards for 2019
- Sporting Life Quiz of 2019
- Sporting Life Best Bets for 2020
- Super 6: Enter NOW!
- Fantasy Football: Pick your team now!
- Football results