Germany's Florian Hempel and England's Jake Jones became the latest players to secure Tour Cards as Final Stage of the 2021 PDC Qualifying School continued on Tuesday.
Hempel, a 30-year-old from Cologne who has previously played handball in Germany's second division, joined Geert De Vos and Geert Nentjes in coming through the European Qualifying School as he took victory on Day Three.
Hempel previously competed on the PDC's European Tour in 2019, but will now play on a full-time basis against the world's top players after defeating Dutchman Luc Peters 6-2 in Tuesday's final following an excellent day of darts.
He averaged at least 94 in all but one of his seven games, defeating former Tour Card Holders Niels Zonneveld, Martin Schindler and John Michael by 6-2 scorelines as he impressively secured his Tour Card.
He completed his semi-final defeat of Michael with a ten-dart finish to end with a 101 average, and sealed victory in style in the final against Peters with a 148 checkout.
"I am so happy!" said Hempel. "I did not expect to be able to win one of the four days and get a direct Tour Card, but the that makes it even better now.
"After my match against Lukas Wenig I started to think that there might be something special to come today. After that I always felt like I was in control of my matches and was that decisive bit better than my opponents."
Dutch newcomer Peters, 28, took a step towards securing a Tour Card from the European Qualifying School Order of Merit with his run to the final on Tuesday, which included a 6-4 win over Benito van de Pas in the last eight.
Stoke-on-Trent scaffolder Jones, meanwhile, will step onto the PDC ProTour for the first time this year after he defeated Australia's Gordon Mathers 6-5 in their final in Milton Keynes.
Mathers hit back from 3-0 down with four straight legs in the final, only for Jones to edge 5-4 up and eventually prevail by taking out 72 in the deciding leg.
Jones, a former Development Tour event finalist, was also a 6-5 winner against Eddie Lovely, John O'Shea and John Brown on the day, and overcame two-time PDC TV title winner Robert Thornton 6-0 in the last 16.
"It puts all the practice and all the hard work into perspective really," said Jones. "It's a dream come true, I can't really put it into words.
"All I thought before coming here was to qualify for the last four days and then it just takes one good day. Yesterday was probably a better day than today, I've won four games 6-5 and it's a rollercoaster to be honest.
"It's quite remarkable for myself. When I was younger, a lot of people said it was quite promising how I was playing, and I was England number one for three years when I was 14-17.
"It really is nice to come through, I've put a lot of effort into this tournament. I love my job but I feel like it's time now to play darts like I can, and we'll see in the coming years how we do."
Wednesday's Day Four will see the Qualifying Schools conclude, with the winners in the UK and Europe securing an automatic Tour Card, while a further 13 players in the UK and eight in Europe will secure a Tour Card from the respective Orders of Merit.
Five-time World Champion Raymond van Barneveld was unable to wrap up his return to the PDC circuit on Tuesday after losing out 6-5 to Switzerland's Stefan Bellmont in round one, and now sits in fourth place in the European standings behind Martin Schindler, Zoran Lerchbacher and Boris Koltsov.
In the UK, Jack Main, Martin Lukeman and Lewis Williams are now assured of claiming three of the 13 available Tour Cards, with Australia's Mathers also in a strong position alongside Scotland's Alan Soutar and former Players Championship winner Joe Murnan.
European Qualifying School Final Stage Day Three
Last 16 onwards. For all the results and detailed stats from day one of European Qualifying School Final Stage, head to Dart Connect (tv.dartconnect.com/events/pdc)
- Florian Hempel 6-2 Niels Zonneveld
- Martin Schindler 6-5 Michael Rasztovits
- John Michael 6-2 Arsen Ballaj
- Rene Eidams 6-4 Jose Justicia
- Luc Peters 6-1 Sebastian Bialecki
- Benito van de Pas 6-2 Jens Ziegler
- Vincent van der Meer 6-4 Boris Koltsov
- Kevin Doets 6-2 Jeroen Mioch
- Florian Hempel 6-2 Martin Schindler
- John Michael 6-1 Rene Eidams
- Luc Peters 6-4 Benito van de Pas
- Kevin Doets 6-2 Vincent van der Meer
- Florian Hempel 6-2 John Michael
- Luc Peters 6-4 Kevin Doets
- Florian Hempel 6-2 Luc Peters
UK Qualifying School Final Stage Day Three
Last 16 onwards. For all the results and detailed stats from day one of UK Qualifying School Final Stage, head to Dart Connect (tv.dartconnect.com/events/pdc)
- Jim McEwan 6-0 Jose Marques
- Gordon Mathers 6-3 Reece Colley
- Jason Hogg 6-0 Andy Jenkins
- Lewis Williams 6-3 Andrew Gilding
- Jake Jones 6-0 Robert Thornton
- John Brown 6-3 Joe Murnan
- Jack Main 6-4 Derek Coulson
- Martin Thomas 6-5 Martin Lukeman
- Gordon Mathers 6-4 Jim McEwan
- Lewis Williams 6-2 Jason Hogg
- Jake Jones 6-5 John Brown
- Martin Thomas 6-4 Jack Main
- Gordon Mathers 6-5 Lewis Williams
- Jake Jones 6-4 Martin Thomas
- Jake Jones 6-5 Gordon Mathers
Final Stage Qualifiers
UK Qualifying School
- Players Exempt To Final Stage (32): Scott Baker, Michael Barnard, Barrie Bates, Richie Burnett, Gavin Carlin, Matt Clark, Robert Collins, Joe Davis, Matthew Dennant, Nathan Derry, Andrew Gilding, Adrian Gray, Rhys Griffin, Adam Huckvale, Keelan Kay, Jamie Lewis, Scott Mitchell, Joe Murnan, Richard North, David Pallett, Nathan Rafferty, Reece Robinson, Kirk Shepherd, Simon Stevenson, Dom Taylor, Scott Taylor, Robert Thornton, Conan Whitehead, Carl Wilkinson, Jim Williams, Lewis Williams, Jon Worsley
- Stage 1A Automatic Qualifiers (12): Eddie Lovely, Chas Barstow, Derek Coulson, Dale Hughes, Sam Booth, Ian Mackenzie, Mike Warburton, Jason Hogg, Christopher Bent, Ryan Hogarth, John Imrie, Kevin Painter
- Stage 1A Order of Merit Qualifiers (36): David Wawrzewski, Peter Hudson, John Brown, Josh McCarthy, Shane McGuirk, Kevin Thomas, Sam Cankett, Fallon Sherrock, Arron Monk, Brett Claydon, David Airey, Liam Meek, Jim McEwan, Adam Smith-Neale, Niall Culleton, Charlie Symons, Matt Jackson, Jaikob Selby-Rivas, Stephen Gallimore, Gordon Mathers, Jason Heaver, David Ladley, Nathan Girvan, Scott Williams, Kevin McDine, Haupai Puha, James Bailey, John Scott, Jack Main, Jack Vincent, Paul Mitchell, Steve Earley, Connor Scutt, Shaun McDonald, Graham Usher, Chris Quantock
- Stage 1B Automatic Qualifiers (12): Alan Soutar, Darren Beveridge, José Marquês, Kevin Burness, Mark Dudbridge, Paul Holloway, Martin Heneghan, Jason Askew, Lee Evans, Liam Gallagher, Jarred Cole, Daniel Baggish
- Stage 1B Order of Merit Qualifiers (36): Lloyd Pennell, Reece Colley, Lee Cocks, Jamie Clark, Rhys Davies, John O'Shea, Ben Cheeseman, Nick Fullwell, Martin Thomas, Robert Owen, Anthony Urmston-Toft, Alan Norris, Brian Hallas, Kyle Richardson, Kevin Garcia, Thomas Lovely, Lewis Pride, Darren Johnson, Lee Whitworth, Andy Jenkins, Martyn Turner, Prakash Jiwa, Adam Mould, Jonathan Wynn, Jock Watt, Jake Jones, Martin Lukeman, Aden Kirk, Ryan Palmer, Robert Rickwood, Ryan Harrington, Gary Butcher, Daniel Lee, Shane O'Connor, Justin Hood, Sean Fisher
European Qualifying School
- Players Exempt To Final Stage (17): Toni Alcinas, Sebastian Bialecki, Christian Bunse, Jan Dekker, Kevin Doets, Marko Kantele, John Michael, Damian Mol, Geert Nentjes, Brian Raman, Rowby-John Rodriguez, Martin Schindler, Benito van de Pas, Vincent Van der Meer, Jitse Van der Wal, Maikel Verberk, Niels Zonneveld
- Stage 1A Automatic Qualifiers (12): Michael Plooy, Adam Gawlas, Lorenzo Pronk, Richard Veenstra, Luksa Wenig, Davy Proosten, Boris Koltsov, Michael Rasztovits, Raymond van Barneveld, Jeremy van der Winkel, Nico Kurz, Franz Roetzsch
- Stage 1A Order of Merit Qualifiers (44): Geert de Vos, Ricardo Pietreczko, Steven Noster, Remo Mandiau, Moreno Blom, Wesley Plaisier, Sven Hilling, Patrick van den Boogaard, Michael Unterbuchner, Jeroen Mioch, Jiri Brejcha, Eimardo van Engelen, Jeffrey Van Egdom, Niko Springer, Dennie Olde Kalter, Kenny Neyens, El-Abbas el Amri, Mindaugas Barauskas, Pero Ljubic, Sebastian Steyer, Jens Ziegler, Chris Landman, Mario Vandenbogaerde, Rene Eidams, Stefan Taferner, Jaimy van de Weerd, Rients Visser, Michael Stoeten, Marco Obst, Philip Van Gasse, Gian van Veen, Patrik Kovacs, Andreas Toft-Jorgensen, Karsten Koch, Kai Gotthardt, Ivan Springborg-Poulsen, Artur Jaa, Gillian Koehoorn, Sven Fiedler, Roland Hol, Egor Tvorogov, Sebastian Pohl, Daniel Meyer, Toon Greebe
- Stage 1B Automatic Qualifiers (12): Jeffrey de Graaf, Gary Mawson, Rusty-Jake Rodriguez, Zoran Lerchbacher, Davyd Venken, Florian Hempel, Jose Justicia, Ronny Huybrechts, Leonard Gates, Dragutin Horvat, Stefan Nilles, Kay Smeets
- Stage 1B Order of Merit Qualifiers (43): Marcel Gerdon, Gino Vos, Matt Campbell, Christian Kist, Arjan Konterman, Luc Peters, Jimmy Hendriks, Robbie Knops, Maikel Venema, Martijn Dragt, Stefan Bellmont, Danny van Trijp, Daniele Petri, Sergio Krassen, Michael Seemann, Michal Smejda, Patrick Bulen, Ryan de Vreede, Willem Mandigers, Veijo Viinikka, Arsen Ballaj, Robert Marijanovic, Jerry Hendriks, Gijsbert van Malsen, Kevin Blomme, Levy Frauenfelder, Johan Engstrom, Laurent Toussaint, Dominique Goldberg, Owen Roelofs, Claus-Bendix Nielsen, Veniamin Symeonidis, Eric Boyer, Jan-Dirk de Groot, Thibault Tricole, Steve Wollener, Kevin Costantini, Thomas Junghans, Erik Meulenmeesters, Nico Schlund, Patrick Tringler, Michael Hausler, Andrew Beeton
More darts content