Sporting Life's verdict, best bets, predictions and top stats on the first Super Sunday of the new Premier League season.
For details of advised bookmakers and each-way terms, visit our transparent tipping record
Liverpool v West Ham (1330 BST, Sky Sports Main Event)
Two of the Premier League's big summer spenders meet for their opening game at Anfield, with Liverpool hoping to get their title charge off to the perfect start.
Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool will be without Fabinho, meaning a lot of last season's side will line up from the off, with the possible additions of Alisson and Naby Keita. West Ham could hand several debuts to a number of signings and they could take a little while to glue under Manuel Pellegrini.
This should be an entertaining match, but Liverpool, on their day, looked close to the real deal last term and have again in pre-season, so with a couple of excellent additions they should be well up for this one in front of a home crowd.
Prediction: Liverpool 3-1 West Ham (Sky Bet odds: 9/1)
Best Bet: Liverpool to win and BTTS at 9/5
Key Opta Stats
- Liverpool have won each of their last three league games against West Ham, scoring four goals in each of those victories; they’ve never scored 4+ goals in four consecutive top-flight games against a single opponent.
- Against no other side have West Ham lost more top-flight games than against Liverpool (61, level with Everton).
- West Ham have won only one of their last 45 top-flight visits to Anfield to face Liverpool (D12 L32), with that win coming in August 2015 (3-0).
- Liverpool’s two opening weekend fixtures under Jurgen Klopp have produced a total of 13 goals – beating Arsenal 4-3 in 2016-17, before a 3-3 draw at Watford last term.
- West Ham have lost their season opener 11 times in the Premier League, more than any other side.
Southampton v Burnley (1330 BST)
Two sides you would expect to finish mid-table, this is an opening day match that screams out a low-scoring draw.
Burnley's season is well under way after starting their European tour a few weeks back, while Mark Hughes has made some strong signings for the Saints as they look to avoid a relegation scrap this time around.
Danny Ings could make his debut against his former club after signing for Southampton on Deadline Day, but he will have to beat new Clarets goalkeeper Joe Hart. Both sides should be relatively happy with a point to get their 2018/19 Premier League campaigns off and running.
Prediction: Southampton 1-1 Burnley (Sky Bet odds: 5/1)
Best Bet: Draw at 23/10
Key Opta Stats
- Southampton are without a win in their last three league meetings with Burnley (D1 L2), netting just one goal in total in those games, this after winning both of the previous two (2-0 and 3-1).
- On home soil, Southampton have suffered just two defeats in their last 16 league meetings with Burnley (W8 D6), although one of those losses came last time out at St. Mary’s (0-1 in November 2017).
- Ten of the 11 goals scored in the six Premier League meetings between Southampton and Burnley have come in the second half, including each of the last nine in a row.
- In last season’s Premier League, Burnley won a league-high share 52% of their points in away games (28/54).
- Southampton striker Charlie Austin has scored four goals in his four Premier League appearances against Burnley. Against no other side has he scored more in the competition (also four vs Arsenal and West Bromwich Albion).
Arsenal v Manchester City (1600 BST, Sky Sports Main Event)
The eye-catching fixture of the opening weekend as holders Man City travel to Arsenal, who will be playing their first Premier League match since Arsene Wenger's departure.
Pep Guardiola's City looked impressive in their Community Shield victory over Chelsea last week and, while Unai Emery is stamping his authority and style on this Gunners side, the away side should get the victory in an entertaining clash at the Emirates.
City to win and BTTS could be worth adding to your coupon, but the goalscorer bet is most eye-catching for value here with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Sergio Aguero expected to be up there in the race for the Golden Boot come May.
Prediction: Arsenal 1-3 Manchester City (Sky Bet odds:12/1)
Key Opta Stats
- Arsenal are beginning a league season against the reigning top-flight champions for the first time since the 1970-71 campaign, when they drew 2-2 at Everton on the opening day.
- Manchester City are unbeaten in their last nine opening Premier League fixtures (W8 D1), winning the last seven in a row.
- Arsenal are without a victory in their last five league meetings with Manchester City (D2 L3), and have won just two of their last 12 against the Citizens (D5 L5).
- At the Emirates, Arsenal have enjoyed just one win in their last six league clashes with Man City (D3 L2), courtesy of a 2-1 win in December 2015.
- Pep Guardiola and Unai Emery met 10 times in all competitions during their spells in Spain, with Guardiola never losing in those meetings (W6 D4 L0).
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLife
Odds correct as of 2100 BST on 10/08/18