Tottenham put one foot into the last 16 of the Champions League with a comprehensive 4-0 victory over Red Star Belgrade in Serbia.
Giovani Lo Celso scored his first Spurs goal in bizarre fashion after a first half scramble inside the box, and Spurs were lucky to go in ahead at the break as Red Star hit the bar and forced Paulo Gazzaniga into two great saves while also missing a sitter.
The game was in the balance until Son Heung-min scored two goals in four minutes around the hour mark, which killed it as a contest and substitute Christian Eriksen sealed the win with five minutes left.
Back-to-back wins over Red Star now puts Tottenham on the brink of the last 16 after moving four points ahead of the Serbians in second place behind Group B leaders Bayern Munich.
The German side secured their qualification by beating Olympiakos and Spurs can do the same when they face the Greek in north London in their next game - although with Red Star having to face Bayern Spurs are virtually guaranteed to go through.
Crvena Zvezda 0-4 Tottenham Hotspur Opta stats
- Tottenham’s victory this evening was their first away win in any competition in nine games this season (D5 L3), and their first victory on the road since they beat Ajax in the Champions League back in May.
- Crvena Zvezda have suffered their heaviest home defeat in their European Cup/Champions League history.
- Tottenham have become the first English team to beat Crevena Zvezda away from home in a Champions League/European Cup tie.
- Crvena Zvezda have conceded more goals than other side after four rounds of matches in this season’s Champions League (13).
- Tottenham have now scored in each of their last 13 Champions League away games – only Chelsea (13 between March 2000 and April 2005) can match such a run amongst English sides in the competition.
- Tottenham forward Son Heung-Min has scored five goals in just four Champions League appearances this season, netting in three straight games in the competition for the first time in his career.
- Giovani Lo Celso has scored his sixth goal in his last eight appearances across the Europa League/Champions League, with this his first goal in any competition for Tottenham Hotspur.