Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 699th career goal as Portugal beat Luxembourg 3-0, while Olivier Giroud's penalty gave France a tight 1-0 win in Iceland.
Ronaldo scored the second of Portugal's three goals to move one goal away from yet another landmark and keep up their hopes of qualification to Euro 2020 next summer.
They remain five points behind Group B leaders Ukraine, with a game in hand, after a Ruslan Malinovskyi double gave them a 2-0 win at home against Lithuania.
Olivier Giroud scored the only goal from the penalty spot as world champions France claimed a 1-0 victory in their crunch Euro 2020 qualifier in Iceland.
The Chelsea striker tucked home in the 66th minute of the Group H clash in Reykjavik after Antoine Griezmann had been kicked by Ari Skulason.
The result ensured France kept pace with Turkey at the top of the group while third-placed Iceland were cut six points adrift of the leaders.
Turkey left it late to grab all three points at home to Albania, with a defensive mix-up in the last minute giving Cenk Tosun the chance to score the winner and break the hearts of the visitors.
Euro 2020 Qualifying results
- Andorra 1-0 Moldova
- Czech Republic 2-1 England
- Iceland 0-1 France
- Montenegro 0-0 Bulgaria
- Portugal 3-0 Luxembourg
- Turkey 1-0 Albania
- Ukraine 2-0 Lithuania
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLifeFC
Related football links
- WATCH: Premier League MD8 highlights
- Rodgers upset with Mane pen
- Watch all the Championship goals
- Lloris out with elbow injury
- Pochettino calls for Spurs unity
- Premier League - As it happened
- Watch: PL Goal of the Month September nominees
- Lampard tips Abraham for England success
- Southgate warns Premier League stars
- Pope eyes England number one spot
- My Football Life: James Coppinger
- Super 6: Enter NOW!
- Fantasy Football: Pick your team now!
- Football results