The Sky Bet Championship gets going with Wigan's televised encounter with Bristol City. Tom Carnduff has a look at the betting.
Recommended Wigan v Bristol City bets
For details of advised bookmakers and each-way terms, visit our transparent tipping record
Wigan v Bristol City (DW Stadium, Friday, 1945 BST, Sky Sports Football)
There's the opportunity to move into the top-six for Wigan on Friday night when they welcome Bristol City to the DW Stadium.
City may have gained four wins from their last five outings, but the home side are rightly the favourites for victory here.
Will Grigg leads the line for the Latics, but there is great value in backing attacking midfielder Nick Powell to be involved in the goals.
The 24-year-old is available at a best-price of 9/4 to strike anytime in the game, and his track record this season highlights how he can get himself onto the scoresheet.
Sitting in behind the striker, Powell has scored three goals and assisted a further four in just eight Championship games.
His 'rivalry' with Blackburn's Bradley Dack has seemingly carried into England's second tier with both hitting the ground running. Think of it as the EFL's version of the 'Ronaldo/Messi debate' - admittedly not to the same ability.
Granted Powell hasn't struck in recent weeks, but his form at the beginning of the season shows that he does have what it takes to perform at this level.
Factor in the number of shots taken too. Powell's 24 attempts on goal are by far the most out of any player in Paul Cook's squad this season, and 46% of those were on target.
That shows his willingness to try and find the net when he is presented with an opportunity to do so. Both of these sides have goals in them as well, so it shouldn't be a low-scoring affair.
Wigan are a strong side in front of their own fans and they'll be looking to use home advantage when it comes to success in the Championship this season.
They've won three and drawn the other in four games at the DW early days, the joint-second best home record in the league. They've also scored first in those games which highlights the importance of starting on the front foot.
Score prediction: Wigan 2-1 Bristol City (Sky Bet odds: 8/1)
Best bet: Nick Powell to score anytime at 9/4
Wigan v Bristol City Opta match facts
- Wigan lost both of their Championship meetings with Bristol City during 2016-17, the last season in which they met.
- In 12 away league visits to Wigan, Bristol City have won more often (5) than they’ve lost (3), with four draws.
- Wigan boss Paul Cook lost both of his league meetings with Bristol City in the 2014-15 season with Chesterfield in League One.
- Wigan and Bristol City have only met on a Friday once previously – Wigan won 1-0 in January 2003 under manager Paul Jewell in a third tier clash.
- Wigan striker James Vaughan scored a hat-trick in his last league start against Bristol City, doing so for Huddersfield Town in April 2013.
- Since the start of the 2017-18 season, this will be Bristol City’s seventh league match on a Friday – more than any other side in the top four tiers of English football; they drew four of their six last season (W1 D1).