Friday night sees action from Sky Bet League One as promotion hopefuls Doncaster and Barnsley meet. Tom Carnduff is backing a goalscorer.
For advised bookmakers and each-way terms, visit our transparent tipping record
Doncaster v Barnsley (Keepmoat Stadium, 1945 GMT, Sky Sports Football)
We're treated to action from Sky Bet League One on Friday night as promotion rivals Doncaster and Barnsley meet in a South Yorkshire derby.
Doncaster have hit a rough patch of form when it matters the most. They are now winless in five league games, although four of those were away.
On the whole, their home form has been a huge positive. Sunderland and Fleetwood are the only teams who have been able to snatch all three points on offer when playing at the Keepmoat.
In Barnsley, they meet a team who have been gaining points on the road. The Tykes are unbeaten in their last seven away fixtures, scoring at least three goals in each of their last three road victories.
It sets it up to be an interesting encounter, but one where both sides will be hoping that their attacking power can see them over the line.
John Marquis will lead the line for the hosts, although youngster Mallik Wilks will carry a significant threat.
The forward is on-loan from Leeds and has enjoyed a successful spell in South Yorkshire. He has switched between the left and right wings but has brought both goals and assists to the table.
In total, Wilks has had direct involvement in 20 goals this season (goals and assists) with eleven of his goals coming in the league.
He netted in their recent draw to Charlton, while goals also came against Southend, Scunthorpe and Portsmouth in February. He's a player who has confidence and that is reflected in his record.
A general price of 5/2 is available on the 20-year-old to find the net anytime in this one. Doncaster's recent form has left a lot to be desired but they have still been scoring.
Grant McCann has a system that allows attack and they are taking chances. Wilks and Marquis are Rovers' main hopes for goal, and a game with pace may play to Wilks' strengths.
When it comes to the result, the signs point towards a draw given the respective home and away records.
A point would be enough to keep Doncaster in the play-off places and pile the pressure on Peterborough, who have lost their last two. The positive for Rovers is that they have a game in hand over Posh.
Barnsley managed to pick up something away at Portsmouth and Luton - who they have played in 2019 - which highlights their ability to secure results against near rivals.
Both teams will be happy enough with a draw, although Doncaster are more in need of a victory. Points to be shared is a general price of 12/5, although Doncaster/Draw on the double chance is also worth considering at 8/13.
Score prediction: Doncaster 1-1 Barnsley (Sky Bet odds: 5/1)
Best bet: Mallik Wilks to score anytime at 5/2
- After losing three successive home league games against Barnsley between October 2008 and January 2011, Doncaster are unbeaten in their last four against them (W3 D1).
- Barnsley have only won one of their last eight league games against Doncaster (D4 L3), a 1-0 win at Oakwell in February 2016.
- Doncaster are unbeaten in nine home league games (W6 D3); they last went 10 without defeat in the third-tier or above in January 2007 when the club had only just begun playing at the Keepmoat Stadium.
- Barnsley have picked up more points in 2019 (29 – P13 W8 D5 L0) than any other side in League One.
- Only Scunthorpe United (20) have had more different goalscorers in League One this season (excluding own goals) than Doncaster Rovers (17).