Friday night football is a West Midlands derby this week as Birmingham v West Brom. Tom Carnduff has found value in a goalscorer.
Recommended Birmingham v West Brom tips
For details of advised bookmakers and each-way terms, visit our transparent tipping record
Birmingham v West Brom (Sky Bet Championship, St. Andrews, Friday, 1945 BST, Sky Sports Football)
It's the return of a West Midlands derby on Friday night as Birmingham face West Brom for the first time in the league since 2011.
The Baggies have enjoyed success in their last three encounters with their local rivals, and they are more than equipped to extend that run here.
Dwight Gayle and Jay Rodriguez may top the scoring charts for West Brom, but there is value in backing Matt Phillips to strike anytime.
The 27-year-old sits on the same number of goals as recent recruit Gayle, finding the net on three occasions and contributing a further assist.
He is a player who has been involved in the plenty of attacks for Darren Moore's side this season, and the division's top scorers will be aiming to add to their tally away from home.
West Brom already have 15 goals this season, and are averaging near three goals a game. Phillips has been a key player throughout the early stages, featuring in every minute of their league campaign.
The best price of 4/1 available on him to score anytime does seem overpriced given the impact that he has made so far.
Birmingham are still in search of their first victory of the season, with four draws enough to keep themselves out of the relegation zone.
Garry Monk's men have struggled for goals, with their last five encounters seeing just two scored.
The Blues are doing little to encourage at the moment, and they will be up against it despite home advantage. In fairness, they have conceded less goals than any side from 8th downwards, but that will be tested against a strong attack.
A West Brom victory at 13/10 does seem good value, while a win with over 2.5 goals in the match boosts the odds to 14/5.
Score prediction: Birmingham 0-3 West Brom (Sky Bet odds: 20/1)
Best bet: Matt Phillips to score anytime at 4/1
- Birmingham and West Bromwich Albion last met in January 2015, with the Baggies winning an FA Cup fourth round match 2-1 at St. Andrew’s.
- West Brom have won each of their last three matches against Birmingham in all competitions.
- Only Brentford’s Ollie Watkins (44) has had more touches in the opposition box in the Championship this season than Birmingham striker Lukas Jutkiewicz (38), while West Brom’s Harvey Barnes has had 25 touches in the opposition box but both of his goals this season have come from outside the box.
- West Brom striker Dwight Gayle scored a hat-trick and assisted another in his last league start against Birmingham, doing so in December 2016 for Newcastle.
- Birmingham have failed to win any of their first six league matches in a season for the first time since 1978-79, a season in which they were relegated from the top-flight.
- West Brom have won five of their last six matches in all competitions (L1) having won just three of their previous 17 (D3 L11).
Odds correct at 1340 BST (12/09/18)