Monday night sees a West London derby as QPR welcome Brentford. Tom Carnduff is backing an Rs winger to shine...
For details of advised bookmakers and each-way terms, visit our transparent tipping record
QPR v Brentford (Sky Sports Football, 1945 GMT)
A weekend of derbies in the Sky Bet Championship comes to a conclusion in West London, where QPR meet Brentford.
The Rs are flying under the guidance of Mark Warburton. They may have been held to a 2-2 draw in midweek, but they still sit fifth in the Championship standings.
Many would have had Brentford performing the better of the two heading into this fixture, but the Bees haven't hit the heights which had been expected following a positive summer in the transfer window.
This QPR side has been a joy to watch at times. Even during an average season in 2018/19, the one element that stood out was their pace in attack and the ability to catch opponents out.
They've not only carried that into the current campaign but have built upon the foundations in place. Jordan Hugill has come in and formed a fine striking partnership with Nahki Wells, with both sharing the duties when only one is required in the system.
Behind them is a fluid midfield which has adapted to change. Warburton has already deployed his side in 4-2-3-1 and 5-3-2 formations, with a straight 4-4-2 being used in their last contest.
I'd predict a return to the favoured 4-2-3-1 formation here, even after a goal for both strikers against Reading. Numbers in the central areas will be key, particularly with two defensive midfielders, as Brentford possess an influential forward trio.
Lining up in a favoured right attacking midfield role for the home side will be Eberechi Eze. The QPR man continues to go from strength-to-strength and has established himself as one of the division's top performers.
He had a fairly quiet game in that draw last time out but this is the type of contest - fast-paced with chances at both ends - that will play to his strengths. It's a real opportunity to get among the goals once again.
Despite playing in wide positions, Eze sits in the top-20 for shots taken in the Championship this season, with only three of those above him able to boast a better goal conversion rate.
This is in part down to his ability on the ball. Eze is tied with Reading's Ovie Ejaria for most successful dribbles, a further demonstration of his confidence, and he should enjoy a productive evening here.
The odds of Eze scoring at home on Monday are far too big. He is a player who is capable of a Premier League move in January and I expect him to take this chance to impress in front of the TV cameras.
Score prediction: QPR 2-1 Brentford (Sky Bet odds: 9/1)
Best bet: Eberechi Eze to score anytime at 7/2
- QPR have lost five of their last seven matches against Brentford in all competitions (W1 D1 L5), but won this exact fixture last season 3-2 in November 2018.
- Brentford have scored at least twice in each of their last seven games against QPR in all competitions, winning 3-0 in the most recent encounter in March 2019 at Griffin Park.
- QPR have won their last two home league London derbies – they’ve not won three such games in a row since April 1995 when they were in the Premier League.
- Brentford have scored six goals in their last three away league games (W2 D0 L1), as many as they had in their previous 12 on the road (W3 D2 L7).
- This will only be QPR boss Mark Warburton’s second match in any competition against Brentford, winning 4-3 with Nottingham Forest in August 2017.
- Nahki Wells has scored seven goals in his 11 league games for QPR this season – the same number he scored in 40 appearances last term.
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLifeFC
Related football links
- Championship: January movers
- Exclusive: Dawson says Poch is the man for Spurs
- Exclusive: Prutton says Bamford call the right one
- Exclusive: Sabri Lamouchi on his life in football
- Listen: Premier League Weekly
- Listen: Championship Podcast
- Super 6: Enter NOW!
- Fantasy Football: Pick your team now!
- Football results