Friday night football comes from the Sky Bet Championship as Huddersfield welcome Fulham. Tom Carnduff has a headline 25/1 tip.
For details of advised bookmakers and each-way terms, visit our transparent tipping record
Huddersfield fans in attendance on Friday night would have last witnessed a win for their beloved Terriers 172 days ago.
The pressure is firmly on Town boss Jan Siewert. One win in 18 competitive matches leaves him with a 5% win ratio, statistics that make his reign increasingly untenable at the club.
They were deservedly knocked out by Lincoln in the Carabao Cup in midweek, giving them less time to prepare for a game that feels definitive in Siewert's short managerial career.
In Fulham, they face a side with serious firepower. Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ivan Cavaleiro and Anthony Knockaert provide a forward trio that is the envy of most, if not all, teams at this level.
The latter can pile on the misery for Huddersfield in a game that seems to suit him. I'm intrigued at the 25/1 available on the winger scoring for outside the area, that is much more interesting than the 4/1 available on a goal anytime.
Knockaert has a proven track record of scoring from distance. Whether it be from set piece or open play, the former Brighton man can strike.
He was pivotal in sides that have achieved promotion to the Premier League and you feel that the same will apply if Fulham are to bounce back at the first time of asking. Knockaert is a player teams look to for goals; that's why Fulham are willing to make his loan move permanent for £15m next summer.
The above video is just one example where he has scored from outside the area. Last season, he caught the headlines with a stunner from distance that found the top corner against Brighton's rivals Crystal Palace in the Premier League.
At 25/1, it looks a bet that is overpriced. I've given a couple of examples above but there's more to look at across the seasons.
Based on what we've seen in the opening games from these two sides, a goal from outside the area wouldn't be a surprise from the visitors.
Fulham's style has allowed shots from range, as highlighted by Tom Cairney's effort against Blackburn, while Huddersfield have also been prone to conceding shots from distance; see Tom Lawrence's brace on opening weekend.
The visitors look decent value at 8/5 for victory here, despite defeat in their only away game at Barnsley.
Huddersfield's spirits are low and there are calls from the faithful for the head coach to go. Given that atmosphere, Fulham are more than capable of capitalising.
Score prediction: Huddersfield 0-2 Fulham (Sky Bet odds: 12/1)
- Huddersfield Town have won just one of their last 13 league games against Fulham (W1 D4 L8), winning 1-0 in the Premier League at the John Smith’s Stadium last season.
- In the Championship, Fulham’s last visit to Huddersfield was in April 2017, winning 4-1 under Slavisa Jokanovic, with current manager Scott Parker an unused sub that day.
- Huddersfield Town have scored just six goals in open-play in their 17 league matches under manager Jan Siewert, with both of their goals so far this season coming via Karlan Grant penalties.
- Aleksandar Mitrovic is looking to score in consecutive league matches for Fulham for the first time since September 2018 – the Serbian has scored in one of his last 18 away league matches.
- Since collecting seven points from three league games during November 2018 (W2 D1 L0), Huddersfield have collected just seven points from 27 league matches (W1 D4 L22).
Sporting Life Accumulator
Odds correct at 1415 BST (15/08/19)
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLifeFC
Related football links
- Podcast: Sky Bet Championship
- Listen: Premier League podcast
- VAR Verdict: The good & the bad
- Premier League reaction
- QUIZ: The Good, Bad and Noughties
- Transfer Window: Done Deals
- What is deadline day like for a player?
- Sky Bet's transfer window specials
- Super 6: £2 million jackpot!
- Fantasy Football: Pick your team now!
- Football results