Transfer rumours and football gossip: Roberto Martinez, Romelu Lukaku, Paulo Fonseca
By Sporting Life
07:47 · FRI October 22, 2021
Read the latest football gossip and transfer rumours from the national newspapers with Sporting Life's Paper Talk.
- Bruno Fernandes is a shock injury doubt for Manchester United's game against Liverpool.
- Romelu Lukaku faces a month out - dealing Chelsea a serious blow in the title race.
- Former Everton boss Roberto Martinez is interested in returning to the Premier League to manage Newcastle, according to reports.
- Phil Neville is plotting a mass clear out at Inter Miami as the problems engulfing David Beckham's club continue.
- Jack Grealish is on fire for England and Manchester City - thanks to the ritual of burning sage to banish bad energy.
- Giorgio Chiellini has criticised the timing of Cristiano Ronaldo's high-profile Juventus exit.
"The value in Liverpool to beat Man Utd looks a serious bet to me" | Premier League best bets
- Newcastle are to offer Paulo Fonseca £6m a season after he impressed Amanda Staveley in an interview.
- Chelsea fear Romelu Lukaku will not be able to play again before the next international break with the striker expected to miss at least two to three weeks with the ankle injury he suffered against Malmo.
- The Rugby Football Union will on Friday unveil hugely ambitious plans to challenge France for the right to host the Women's World Cup in 2025.
- The All Blacks' famous haka, Ka Mate, has been granted surprise protections in the UK's new free trade deal with New Zealand.
- The stark impact of Covid 19, and the associated lockdowns, on the nation's fitness is laid bare in a major new report which shows one million more people became inactive.
- Marc Overmars has emerged as a potential director of football at Newcastle United.
- Romelu Lukaku is expected to be sidelined until at least the international break next month after twisting his ankle in Chelsea's 4-0 Champions League win over Malmo.
- Max Verstappen has refused to take part in this season's Netflix documentary on F1 as he believes the producers have faked storylines in the past.
- England will practise with balls soaked in buckets of water to prepare for the high humidity and dew at the T20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.
- UK Athletics sunk further into crisis with Britain's leading athletes reacting with fury after finding out on social media that chief executive Jo Coates and performance director Sara Symington had announced their resignations.
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah has been snapped with his agent Ramy Abbas Issa ahead of this weekend's clash with Manchester United.
- Liverpool will hold talks aimed at reducing the time their key players are away at the Africa Cup of Nations.
- The Versailles prosecutor's office has requested a 10-month suspended prison sentence and €75k (£63k) fine for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema on charges of complicity in blackmail.
- Marcus Rashford is hopeful of being fit to play for Manchester United in Sunday's clash with arch rivals Liverpool at Old Trafford.
- Barcelona wonderkid Ansu Fati reportedly turned down Manchester United, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain to commit his future to the Nou Camp.
- The wounds from this year's failed European Super League coup are set to be re-opened thanks to plans to release a multi-part Netflix-style documentary on the 48 hours that rocked football.
- New York Red Bulls' head of sport Kevin Thelwell has emerged as a surprise candidate for the role of sporting director at Newcastle United.
THE SCOTTISH SUN
- Karamoko Dembele has suffered a fresh setback in his bid to return from injury and has had to have surgery.
- St Johnstone look set to swoop for Israeli star Tomer Altman after he impressed on trial ... if they can get a work permit for him.
- Former Rangers striker Jonatan Johansson is in the frame to take over as Charlton Athletic manager, reports say.
- Hampden bosses will meet next week as they step up efforts to oppose FIFA chief Gianni Infantino and his controversial bid to introduce biennial World Cups.