Friday's Paper Talk: Football news and transfer gossip, including Anderson, Messi, Wijnaldum, Maguire and Doucoure
By Sporting Life
07:30 · FRI September 04, 2020
In a latest twist Lionel Messi could now be staying at Barcelona, while the Spanish giants could also be making a raid on the English champions. Paper Talk has all of Friday's transfer gossip.
- Lionel Messi is now contemplating staying for one more year at Barcelona after talks between the club and his father, Jorge, who is also his agent.
- Arsenal could make a shock move to sign West Ham's Felipe Anderson following speculation he has been offered to the Gunners on loan for a £5m fee.
- Liverpool midfielder Gini Wijnaldum has stayed tight-lipped on suggestions that he's a transfer target for Barcelona, simply referring to speculation as "a rumour" when quizzed on international duty.
- Chris Smalling looks set to join Roma on a permanent basis from Manchester United after a successful loan spell for the defender in Italy last season.
- Harry Maguire called Gareth Southgate to ask for an England recall after his conviction appeal.
- Angry 'Big Six' clubs forced a vote over subs they knew they would lose - to lay the ground rules for future battles.
- Bournemouth striker Josh King has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
- Burnley are moving out 'striking' centre-half Ben Gibson to Norwich City in a shock deal.
- The Premier League is set to bow to pressure and agree to televise all top-flight fixtures while matches are played behind closed doors.
- Manchester City's hopes of signing Lionel Messi have taken a hit after the player's father was told that Barcelona are currently unwilling to negotiate his sale.
- The Premier League was engulfed by the biggest cash crisis in its history on Thursday night after terminating its television deal in China in a move that left it with a potential £800 million-plus coronavirus bill.
- Rennes have slapped a £30m price tag on Senegal goalkeeper Edouard Mendy as Chelsea eye up a bid.
- Arsenal are putting the finishing touches on their loan move for Dani Ceballos, who will be re-joining the club after starring under Mikel Arteta at the end of last season.
Nations League returns
The Nations League ushers in the return of international football. Read our preview and tips for Friday night's games, as Scotland and Northern Ireland both play, here.
- Manchester United are set to make a new Jadon Sancho transfer approach by finalising his agent's fees before submitting an offer to Borussia Dortmund.
- Southampton have taken legal action against their former shirt sponsors LD Sports after failing to receive assurances from the Chinese media company that they would be able to fulfil their three-year, £7.5million contract.
- Manchester United are giving a trial to former Borussia Dortmund winger Reda Khadra.
- Abdoulaye Doucoure has completed his Everton medical ahead of a proposed £22million transfer from Watford.
- Bournemouth contract rebel Ryan Fraser is moving closer to joining Newcastle on a free transfer.
- Fulham have had an opening bid of £8m for Lyon's former Chelsea forward Bertrand Traore rejected.
- Chelsea new boy Kai Havertz could be set for a battle for the number 10 shirt with Christian Pulisic when he arrives at Stamford Bridge.
- Bournemouth striker Josh King says it would be "amazing" if Manchester United made a move for him again. The Norwegian's January move to Old Trafford fell through.
- Celtic star Tom Rogic's £4m move to Qatar looks like collapsing.
- Rangers have no interest Maccabi Tel Aviv midfielder Dan Glazer, despite reports linking him with an Ibrox move.
Related football content