Dominic Iorfa celebrates as Sheffield Wednesday secure a 3-1 win at Charlton

Sky Bet Championship review: Match reports and video highlights of every Championship match

A full round of of the Sky Bet Championship with match reports and video highlights of every Championship match, as Sheffield Wednesday recorded a rare away win; Brentford hit seven; Bristol City score five; and Leeds return to the top.

Sky Bet Championship results

  • Charlton 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday
  • Barnsley 3-1 Hull
  • Birmingham 1-1 Millwall
  • Brentford 7-0 Luton
  • Bristol City 5-2 Huddersfield
  • Derby 1-1 QPR
  • Leeds 4-0 Middlesbrough
  • Nottingham Forest 0-1 Cardiff
  • Stoke 1-2 Blackburn
  • Wigan 1-3 Reading

Sky Bet Championship table

Charlton 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday

(video no longer available)

Steven Fletcher scored twice to help Sheffield Wednesday secure their first victory in London in nine games as they beat Charlton 3-1 at The Valley.

After Fletcher netted either side of Macauley Bonne's equaliser, Atdhe Nuhiu headed a late third to move the Owls closer to the Championship play-off places.

Buoyed by the news of the impending takeover by Abu Dhabi-based corporation East Street Investments, the pre-match atmosphere was one of celebration that the reign of Roland Duchatelet at The Valley will soon be over.

What will not be so quickly resolved is Charlton's injury crisis which grew to 14 players prior to kick-off when Ben Purrington was forced to pull out.

After 17 minutes Morgan Fox and Barry Bannan combined on the left before the latter curled over a delightful cross which Fletcher glanced into the far corner.

A rare Charlton attack saw Doughty send over a low cross to the feet of Bonne whose stabbed shot bounced up off the leg of Wednesday defender Tom Lees and wrongfooted keeper Cameron Dawson as it spun over the line for the equaliser.

The game's pivotal moment arrived after 79 minutes when Erhun Oztumer felled substitute Jacob Murphy. Referee Tim Robinson took his time before awarding the penalty which was tucked away neatly by Fletcher.

Wednesday's victory was sealed in the final seconds when the unmarked Nuhui headed home Adam Reach's cross.

Barnsley 2-1 Hull

(video no longer available)

Barnsley marked new head coach Gerhard Struber's first home game in charge with a 3-1 victory over Hull.

Goals from Alex Mowatt and Mike Bahre in either half put the home side in control before Keane Lewis-Potter reduced the arrears, but Barnsley held on to record their first win since the opening day of the season with Conor Chaplin adding a third in stoppage time.

The hosts took the lead midway through the half when Bahre laid the ball off to Mowatt who produced a measured shot to beat keeper George Long from the edge of the area.

Hull's best chance of the half fell to Jarrod Bowen, whose low shot went a fraction wide of Sami Radlinger's right-hand post.

The two-goal cushion came in the 75th minute when Mowatt slipped a great ball through to Bahre who slotted confidently past Long from inside the area.

The visitors pulled a goal back when Kamil Grosicki's cross from the left was headed back across the face of goal by Eaves at the far post and substitute Lewis-Potter was on hand to head in from close range.

Hull, who had won four out of their previous six league games, briefly threatened to force a late equaliser.

Josh Bowler had an effort deflected wide and Eaves headed over, but any hope of late drama was killed off deep into stoppage time when Chaplin scored a third goal for Barnsley with a thumping drive from the edge of the area.

Birmingham 1-1 Millwall

(video no longer available)

Jake Clarke-Salter's first goal for Birmingham rescued a 1-1 draw against Millwall and denied visiting manager Gary Rowett a winning return to St. Andrew's.

The on-loan Chelsea centre back headed home 11 minutes from time to cancel out Shaun Williams's spectacular 30-yard strike in the 61st minute and clinched a third successive 1-1 draw for Blues.

Clarke-Salter's equaliser meant eight of Birmingham's 11 goals scored at St Andrews in the Championship this season have been headed, including the last five.

The Blues are five games without a win now, since October 26, while Millwall made it 10 points out of 18 under former Birmingham manager Rowett.

A draw was a fair result with Blues having two penalty appeals turned down while Ivan Sunjic was denied and Jude Bellingham, Lukas Jutkiewicz and Alvaro Gimenez fired wide, while for Millwall, Matt Smith and Ben Thompson were foiled.

Millwall however went closest to breaking the deadlock, 11 minutes before the break.

Jed Wallace curled in a superb cross from the left after dispossessing Fran Villalba and Smith's towering downward header was scooped away by Connal Trueman diving to his right.

Jutkiewicz and Gimenez wasted chances for Blues, the former could only roll the ball wide with Bialkowski to beat after being put clean through.

Millwall punished them when Williams curled a spectacular shot into the top corner from 30 yards from Jed Wallace's short pass.

Pressure from Blues resulted in an equaliser when Clarke-Salter glanced home Dan Crowley's outswinging corner at the near post.

With Blues piling forward, Bellingham danced through only to poke his left-footed shot just wide of the far post.

Brentford 7-0 Luton

(video no longer available)

Josh Dasilva grabbed his first Football League hat-trick as Brentford ran riot in a 7-0 rout of strugglers Luton.

The former Arsenal man made sure he kept the match ball, finishing from the penalty spot with four minutes to go, to add to strikes from Bryan Mbeumo, Ollie Watkins, Mathias Jensen and Said Benrahma.

The Bees took just six minutes to break the deadlock, Mbeumo capitalising on a mix-up between Dan Potts and goalkeeper James Shea to squeeze the ball home inside the near post.

They stretched their lead on the half hour as Dasilva teased his marker before slipping a slide-rule pass to top scorer Watkins, who turned and fired low past the keeper from close range.

It was four shortly afterwards when patient build-up play was rewarded as Jensen passed the ball home with a clever reverse finish inside the near upright.

Dasilva grabbed his first of the afternoon five minutes before the break when he toyed with two Hatters defenders before moving the ball onto his left foot and curling a beauty just inside the far post from the edge of the box.

He added to his tally in first-half stoppage time, firing home a low drive with his less-favoured right foot after a slick eight-man move.

Luton's cause was not helped when half-time substitute Brendan Galloway went down off the ball moments after the restart and was stretchered off leaving Luton to play out the game with 10 men.

Brentford were ruthless, and despite being in the comfort zone they added two more to their tally, leaving them two short of the club-record 9-0 win over Wrexham in 1965.

First Pelly Ruddock inexplicably hauled down Watkins in the box with the ball going out of play and Benrahma coolly sent Shea the wrong way from the spot in the 70th minute.

And the mauling was complete four minutes from time when the Bees carved open the visitors' defence once more and Potts felled Benrahma for Dasilva to secure his hat-trick.

In the end the whistle could not come soon enough for Luton, who have not shipped seven since a 7-1 FA Cup defeat at Grimsby in 1996 and were only one off the 8-1 defeat suffered at Lincoln in December 1966.

Bristol City 5-2 Huddersfield

(video no longer available)

Josh Brownhill celebrated his 150th appearance for Bristol City with a goal and an assist in a 5-2 Sky Bet Championship win over Huddersfield at Ashton Gate.

The hosts were 4-1 up at the break having taken an 11th-minute lead when Andreas Weimann's shot from inside the box was diverted past Kamil Grabara by Brownhill.

It was 2-0 on the half-hour when Niclas Eliasson's inswinging cross from the right was deflected into his own net by Terence Kongolo under pressure from Nathan Baker.

Karlan Grant halved the deficit after 35 minutes, turning his marker to net with a right-footed shot from an angle, but seconds later Eliasson headed home a Brownhill cross.

Eliasson was causing havoc and his 40th-minute cross was converted by Ashley Williams with a bullet header at the near post.

Four minutes after the break it was 5-1 as Weimann ran onto an Adam Nagy through ball and rounded goalkeeper Grabara before firing home from a narrow angle.

Juninho Bacuna pulled a goal back with a sweet low drive from 25 yards, but it proved no more than a consolation for his side despite their hard-fought performance in the second half.

Derby 1-1 QPR

(video no longer available)

Wayne Rooney watched from the dugout as Derby's winning run at Pride Park was ended by a 1-1 draw with QPR.

Martyn Waghorn's free-kick put the Rams ahead but the striker then gave away the penalty that Eberechi Eze converted at the end of the first half.

Derby were pushing for a sixth straight home win but Rangers showed character and might have taken all three points with more composure in the final third.

Rooney was given a rousing reception when he came out on the pitch before taking his place among the hosts' coaching staff for the first time.

The former England captain is not eligible to play until January but he would have approved of the way Derby started with Jayden Bogle getting in on the right to force Joe Lumley into a diving save in the second minute.

But Phillip Cocu's side have struggled at set pieces and Rangers caused problems from corners in the first 10 minutes with Geoff Cameron heading narrowly over.

QPR had not kept a clean sheet all season and they conceded again in the 23rd minute when Jack Marriott was tripped just outside the box and Waghorn curled the free-kick over the wall and into Lumley's top left corner.

But Derby looked far from secure and Ryan Manning forced Hamer to push out a skimming 25-yard drive before Jordan Hugill shot just wide in the 29th minute.

Angel Rangel flashed a shot wide as the visitors pressed again but they levelled in stoppage time when Waghorn's clumsy challenge on Osayi-Samuel resulted in a penalty which Eze rolled past Hamer.

It was the least R's deserved for a vibrant display and they started the second half brightly, although Marriott fired over from a corner in the 53rd minute.

Derby had another chance in the 67th minute when Marriott crossed from the left but Bogle put his shot over from 10 yards.

Derby had a chance to win it in the third minute of added time when they earned a free-kick 25 yards out but Tom Lawrence could not beat Lumley.

Leeds 4-0 Middlesbrough

(video no longer available)

Leeds easily swept aside Middlesbrough 4-0 to move back to the top of the Sky Bet Championship.

A brace from Mateusz Klich and goals from former Boro striker Patrick Bamford and Helder Costa saw off the struggling Teessiders, who remain just a point above the relegation spots.

The victory was a fifth in a row for United who sit a point ahead of second-placed West Brom, who play Preston on Monday.

Leeds boasted the meanest defence in the Championship going into this game, whilst Boro had the joint-worst attack in the division.

Those stats did not bode well for the visitors and indeed the contest was barely three minutes old when Leeds took control of proceedings.

Bamford was denied initially when his header was kept out by Aynsley Pears, but the rookie goalkeeper could do nothing to stop Bamford's second header following a delightful cross from Pablo Hernandez.

Right on the brink of half-time Leeds finally put some distance between the two sides as Klich doubled their lead.

Bamford laid off a pass that deflected into the path of Klich whose effort also took a slight nick on its way past Pears in the visitors' goal.

Costa then saw an effort charged down as the hosts threatened to run away with the contest. But the Portuguese winger was not to be kept off the scoresheet for too long, netting his first for the club.

He wriggled his way through the Boro defence before rifling an effort from just inside the box beyond a helpless Pears.

Leeds were still hungry for more goals and it was not long before Pears was picking the ball out of his net for a fourth time.

Klich notched his second of the game with a superb strike that bent into the top corner from outside the box.

Nottingham Forest 0-1 Cardiff

(video no longer available)

Nottingham Forest's miserable run against Cardiff continued as Neil Harris maintained his positive start to life as Bluebirds boss with a 1-0 win on familiar territory.

Cardiff have not lost to Forest in 10 meetings and they have won nine of those games after Nathaniel Mendez-Laing's precise finish earned them all three points at the City Ground.

Harris, who endured a tough spell as a striker while playing for Forest, would have appreciated the quality of the game's only goal, as the Cardiff man found the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the box to help the newly appointed manager to another victory in his third game in charge.

But Forest's lack of finishing power was also decisive as they registered 31 efforts on goal but only hit the target twice.

Forest carved out the first meaningful opportunity as Joe Lolley and Lewis Grabban combined to find Sammy Ameobi in space in the box, but the winger lost his footing as he hit his shot, which bobbled harmlessly wide.

Another well-crafted move ended with Matty Cash picking out Joao Carvalho in the box, but the 15million euros signing fired high over the bar with a panicked effort.

The home side had been dominant in the opening exchanges, but it was Cardiff who took the lead in the 14th minute, with their first effort.

After he was fed the ball by Lee Tomlin, Mendez-Laing was given the time and space to curl a precise, curling shot into the bottom corner, beyond the reach of Bryce Samba, to deny him what would have been a fourth consecutive clean sheet.

Lolley fired wide and Ameobi wildly over as Forest continued to look for an opening, while the latter and Carvalho came a little closer with subsequent efforts, but still without hitting the target.

The second half saw Jack Robinson's curling free-kick kept out by Etheridge, but Worrall had to clear off the line to deny Cardiff a second goal as Junior Hoilett was picked out by Gary Madine only a few yards out.

Stoke 1-2 Blackburn

(video no longer available)

Sam Gallagher hit a late winner to give Blackburn a 2-1 victory at struggling Stoke.

It looked like the visitors had chucked the points away when goalkeeper Christian Walton scored an own goal with nine minutes to go.

But Gallagher slotted home following a brilliant counter-attack minutes later to win it for Rovers.

City enjoyed good spells of first-half possession but lacked quality in the final third and struggled to create clear-cut chances.

And it was a similar story in the second half as Stoke failed to show the ruthlessness needed in front of goal.

Rovers deservedly hit the front when Bradley Dack pounced after Tosin Adarabioyo had a shot cleared off the line following Stewart Downing's 13th-minute corner.

Cameron Carter-Vickers could only find the stands with an attempted 23rd-minute cross as the home fans began to vent their frustrations.

Ince scuffed a shot from close range on the hour mark after a good run by Carter-Vickers created an opening.

Adarabioyo sliced a clearance over his own crossbar on 64 minutes, before Clucas lashed an effort wide from long range minutes later.

Mame Diouf saw an effort brilliantly saved by Walton before his rebound was cleared off the line by Darragh Lenihan after 80 minutes.

The Rovers rearguard was finally breached when Walton made a mess of the resulting corner and bundled the ball into his own net.

But the visitors restored their advantage when the unmarked Gallagher turned home Elliott Bennett's cross with six minutes to go.

Wigan 1-3 Reading

(video no longer available)

George Puscas netted a sensational hat-trick in the space of five minutes deep inside the final quarter to give Reading a 3-1 Championship victory at struggling Wigan.

In a game desperately short in quality and excitement, Puscas stepped up to the plate to secure a vital away win - and pile the pressure on under-fire Wigan boss Paul Cook.

The hosts went ahead through Joe Garner, but are now without a win in seven outings and sit in the relegation zone.

Wigan had started by far the brighter and Anthony Pilkington unleashed a brilliant strike that was tipped over by Reading goalkeeper Rafael.

At the other end, Reading were almost in, when a corner from the right found Puscas, whose volley was cleared off the line by Pilkington.

But it was Wigan who got their noses in front in the 34th minute, when Garner climbed well to meet a Pilkington corner.

Rafael parried it out but straight back to Garner, who scrambled it home from close range.

Reading were continuing to offer little, but Wigan were given a warning when the ball landed at the feet of Puscas, although he sent his shot over the top.

With 12 minutes remaining, Reading substitute Lucas Boye was adjudged to have been fouled by Dujon Sterling.

Puscas placed the ball on the spot before smashing it down the middle, with David Marshall diving to his right.

Two minutes later, the striker was in again, skipping beyond Charlie Mulgrew before slotting past the disbelieving Marshall.

Then, three minutes after that, Garath McCleary crossed from the right for Puscas to complete his hat-trick.

And the Wigan fans spent much of the closing stages venting their anger at Cook.

Like what you've read?

Most Read Football

Football Tips