Eddie Howe

Eddie Howe says new striker unlikely in January despite Newcastle problems


Eddie Howe admits Newcastle are unlikely to sign a striker in the January transfer window despite the injury problems affecting Alexander Isak and Callum Wilson.

Isak limped out of Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace midway through the first half after taking a bang to the hip and could be facing another spell out having already been sidelined this season by a toe problem.

Wilson was on the bench as forward cover but given that he made his first appearance of the season against West Ham on Monday because of a back issue, it was felt he was not ready to play 68 minutes at Selhurst Park and was not brought on until the 75th minute.

It meant Newcastle played most of the match without a recognised striker and they paid the price by managing just a single off-target shot all game with a blunder by Palace captain Marc Guehi providing their goal.

But when asked if he would add to his options up front next month, Howe said: “That’s a difficult one. I don’t think so.

“Fully fit Premier League strikers who can score goals will cost us an extortionate amount of money that we don’t have. We’ve got to back the players that we do have.

“I know we have got players who will score and create. I have got no issue with the quality of the players we have got.”

Wilson’s comeback is being carefully managed and with Newcastle’s goals drying up this season – only five clubs have scored fewer than their 14 in 13 matches– Howe is demanding the whole team steps up.

“It was a difficult one with Callum. He’s had minimal training time. I’ve got to be really careful we don’t push him too early and we lose him,” he said.

“I didn’t think bringing him on at the stage of the game with the minutes that were left was something that I could do.

“The plan pre-game was 20-30 minutes, as it was against West Ham. I decided to put Anthony Gordon up there and he’s done a really good job for us when he’s been up there previously.

“He did well but the lack of goalscoring opportunities isn’t on him, it’s the team and we need to do better.”


More from Sporting Life


Safer gambling

We are committed in our support of safer gambling. Recommended bets are advised to over-18s and we strongly encourage readers to wager only what they can afford to lose.

If you are concerned about your gambling, please call the National Gambling Helpline / GamCare on 0808 8020 133.

Further support and information can be found at begambleaware.org and gamblingtherapy.org.


Like what you've read?

MOST READ FOOTBALL

Join for Free
Image of stables faded in a gold gradientGet exclusive Willie Mullins insight, plus access to premium articles, expert tips and Timeform data, plus more...
Log in
Discover Sporting Life Plus benefits

FOOTBALL TIPS