Marshman chases home Noble Style at York
Marshman chases home Noble Style at York

Nick Bradley expecting Marshman to shine on 2023


Owner Nick Bradley retains plenty of faith in Marshman, who he says will be back to “smash it up” in 2023.

Ultra-impressive in his first two outings, especially when bolting up by over eight lengths at Thirsk, the momentum was building for his third start when eventually sent off the 9-4 favourite for the Gimcrack Stakes at York.

He travelled powerfully through that Group Two contest on the Knavesmire, looking every inch the winner until overhauled late on by the high-class Godolphin youngster Noble Style.

There was no shame in defeat there and all roads then pointed to the Middle Park Stakes at Newmarket where again the son of Harry Angel was popular in the betting and exited the stalls as favourite for his first taste of Group One action.

Get Stuck In: Episode One | Cheltenham Showcase Meeting and Old Roan Chase

Things did not go to plan for Marshman on the Rowley Mile, pulling much too hard when prominent in the early stages and then hanging to his right when push came to shove and fading into fifth, beaten five lengths.

However, Bradley believes a sore shin combined with the undulating nature of Newmarket did not suit his talented two-year-old.

“I knew he wouldn’t like the track at Newmarket and a sore shin had been niggling him pretty much since we bought him,” said Bradley. “When he went into the dip, he hung to the right and was obviously feeling it.

“He’s done for the year now, but he will be back next year, and he will smash it up.”

Marshman’s efforts in the white and black silks of the Nick Bradley Racing syndicate have only been eclipsed by the gutsy Oscula and Prix Chaudenay scorer Al Qareem.

Both are set to return to the track in the near future, with Oscula gunning for her fourth victory of the year at Lingfield, while Al Qareem will head across the channel once again for the Prix Royal-Oak at ParisLongchamp.

“Oscula could go for the Fleur de Lys at Lingfield (October 27) and I’m going to run Al Qareem on Sunday in the Prix Royal-Oak,” continued Bradley. “We’ve got Ryan Moore pencilled in to ride.”


More from Sporting Life

Safer gambling

We are committed in our support of safer gambling. Recommended bets are advised to over-18s and we strongly encourage readers to wager only what they can afford to lose.

If you are concerned about your gambling, please call the National Gambling Helpline / GamCare on 0808 8020 133.

Further support and information can be found at begambleaware.org and gamblingtherapy.org.