Mike Vince has been challenging our extended racing team's knowledge during the lockdown - now put yourself to the test.
Round 1 - History
1. Who was the last French trained horse to win the King George the Sixth and Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot?
2. Which current Group 1 race in the UK was first run in 1886 and won by a horse called Bendigo, when with a prize fund of £10,000 it was the worlds richest race?
3. What is the next horse in this sequence - Wall Street, Diffident, Mark of Esteem, Decorated Hero...
4. Who is the only British trainer in modern times to have trained the winner of both the July Cup and the Cheltenham Gold Cup?
5. Richard Johnson holds the unwanted record of most rides in the Grand National without having won it. How many times has he been second?
6. Willie Mullins has trained the winner of every Grade One at the Cheltenham Festival bar one... which one?
7. Which horse gave Lester Piggott his final British classic success?
8. In the last 18 years only one winner of the 1000 Guineas has been trained at Newmarket. By whom?
Round 2 - Name the Racecourse
1. At which racecourse is Her Majesty's Plate run?
2. Britain’s first Sunday raceday was staged at which racecourse?
3. Ascot stages the Royal Hunt Cup but which other course also stages a Hunt Cup as its feature race?
4. Ireland’s Ascot Gold Cup hopes often open their season in the Vintage Crop Stakes. Where is it run?
5. At which British Racecourse was Gordon Elliott leading trainer in the last jump season?
6. Which track hosts the Group 3 Chipchase Stakes?
7. Which racecourse hosts its most valuable race, a 5 furlong dash, on a Saturday in October?
8. The Persian War Novices Hurdle, won in 2019 by Thyme Hill is run where?
Round 3 - True or False?
1. A horse called Wokingham won the Wokingham Stakes at Royal Ascot
2. 200-1, which has happened five times, is the biggest SP returned of a winner in modern times
3. Sheikh Mohammed’s colours were first carried to victory in the UK at Brighton in 1977
4. Goodwood’s Sussex Stakes was originally a six furlong race for two-year-olds
5. The Henry II Stakes at Sandown was named after the Henry the Second pub, Esher’s best known and historic watering hole
6. The Northumberland Plate was first run on Town Moor in 1833
7. Al Boum Photo’s winning distance in the Cheltenham Gold Cup in March was 1 length
8. Ruby Walsh rode his first Cheltenham Festival winner on Blowing Wind in the 2002 Mildmay of Flete
Round 4 - Racing 2019/2020
1. What was significant about the victory of a horse named Quizical at the Curragh in 2019?
2. 2019 Grand National - Tiger Roll beat Magic of Light. Who rode the second?
3. Name the winning jockey in the 2019 Haydock Park Sprint Cup.
4. An 8-1 shot won the Oaks at Epsom, and was the stables lesser fancied of its two runners. Name the horse.
5. Who trained the winner of the Racing Post Arkle at Cheltenham in March?
6. Which horse was controversially disqualified after being forced through the wing of the last fence at Ascot by a stablemate, and then returned to win a big race at the next meeting?
7. Which jockey rode a four timer at Newmarket on Future Champions' Day in October 2019?
8. Which horse became the first to complete a big Newmarket Group 2 double in the same year by taking the Jockey Club Stakes at the Guineas Festival and the Princess of Wales’s Stakes at the July Meeting in the same year?
We are committed in our support of responsible gambling. Recommended bets are advised to over-18s and we strongly encourage readers to wager only what they can afford to lose.