Two Formula One grands prix will be staged at Silverstone this summer, subject to Government approval.
The managing director of the Northamptonshire circuit, Stuart Pringle, told the BBC that an agreement in principle had been reached with Formula One to hold two races, immediately after the season begins in Austria.
"I am delighted to confirm that Silverstone and Formula 1 have reached an agreement in principle to host two races behind closed doors this summer," Pringle said.
"However these races will be subject to Government approval, as our priority is the safety of all involved and strict compliance with Covid-19 regulations.
"I would like to thank all our fans who have been so supportive throughout this and to assure them we are determined to do all we can to help Formula 1 put on a show this summer."
The BBC reported that the agreement would hinge on the Government giving dispensation over quarantine restrictions.
The Government's Covid-19 recovery strategy document set out an intention to introduce a 14-day quarantine rule for international arrivals, except those from the Republic of Ireland and France.
Austria is set to host the opening race of the 2020 season in July, which had been due to start in Australia in March.
A statement on the Formula One website last month stated that the intention is to hold races during the traditional summer break period, and that the season end date will extend beyond the original weekend of November 27-29.
Formula One managing director Ross Brawn outlined earlier this month how the sport will take steps to mitigate the risk of personnel contracting Covid-19.
"All team staff will be tested every two days," he said.
"We'll have restrictions on how people move around within the paddock," Brawn added in an interview with Sky Sports F1.
"We can't have staff that socially distance so we have to create an environment within itself that is effectively a small bubble of isolation.
"The teams will stay within their own groups. They won't mingle with other teams and they'll stay in their own hotels. There will be no motorhomes there."