Friday's Paper Talk: Football transfer news, rumours and gossip including Stones, Alcantara, Zaha, Brooks and Delph
By Sporting Life
07:37 · FRI July 31, 2020
Plenty of transfer gossip to ease us all into the weekend, as Thiago Alcantara pushes a move to Liverpool and West Ham close in on a deal for Man City's John Stones.
- John Stones could be set for a reunion with former boss David Moyes at West Ham as Manchester City begin a clear-out.
- Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis wants his team's Champions League game against Barcelona moved to Portugal because of a coronavirus spike in Catalonia.
- Sergio Romero wants to hold showdown talks with Manchester United over his future - with Dean Henderson heading back to Old Trafford.
- Thiago Alcantara has confirmed he wants to leave Bayern Munich amid Liverpool transfer links.
- Crystal Palace will demand around £70m for Wilfried Zaha - which could net Manchester United a £17.5m bonus in sell-on fees.
- Gareth Bale has told Wales boss Ryan Giggs he intends to stay at Real Madrid next term even if a lack of games leaves him rusty for the Euros.
- Brighton are eyeing Arsenal midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles for a summer move.
- Liverpool have been handed a boost in their bid to land Thiago Alcantara this summer after claims the midfielder has informed Bayern Munich he wants to quit the Allianz Arena.
- Arsenal, Chelsea and the FA are calling on fans to stay away from Wembley on Saturday, fearing some could go to celebrate if their team wins the FA Cup.
- Clive Tyldesley has been signed by Americans CBS Sports to lead their Champions League commentary - along with Jamie Carragher.
- Mesut Ozil will remain at Arsenal this summer with his agent revealing that the former Germany international is keen to see out his contract at Emirates Stadium.
- Leicester are eyeing Bournemouth's David Brooks but face competition from West Ham, Newcastle and Crystal Palace.
- Liverpool are ready to revive their interest in Bournemouth defender Lloyd Kelly after missing out on him last summer.
- Leeds are plotting a double swoop for two former players - Everton midfielder Fabian Delph and Tottenham full-back Danny Rose, as boss Marcelo Bielsa looks for players with Premier League experience before their top-flight return
- Amanda Staveley, the businesswoman at the centre of the Saudi-led takeover bid of Newcastle, has blamed rival clubs for opposing the buyout and the Premier League for delaying the approval.
- Newcastle could still have new owners before the start of next season with American businessman Henry Mauriss now in pole position.
- Chelsea and Manchester City are among a number of leading clubs who are monitoring whether David Alaba signs a new contract at Bayern Munich.
- Lille are set bid £17m bid for Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos - with West Brom waiting in the wings and preparing a rival offer.
- Winger Jordan Jones has been told by manager Steven Gerrard that he can leave Rangers.
- Aberdeen have made a move to land Leeds striker Ryan Edmondson.
Related football content