Transfer rumours and football gossip: Anthony Martial, Andres Iniesta, Yves Bissouma
By Sporting Life
10:30 · WED September 22, 2021
Read the latest football gossip and transfer rumours from the national newspapers with Sporting Life's Paper Talk.
- Dean Henderson wants a January loan move after his dream of establishing himself as Manchester United's No 1 fell flat.
- Premier League clubs are at odds over a set of proposals to prevent a fresh European Super League breakaway bid.
- Chelsea reportedly want to tie down a number of their key players after defenders Andreas Christensen and Antonio Rudiger sign contract extensions.
- Chelsea were reportedly willing to pay Paris Saint-Germain £86m for Marquinhos but neither club nor player was interested in the offer.
- Inter Milan are reportedly desperate to get rid of Alexis Sanchez to cut down their wage bill.
- Arsene Wenger has revealed he feels partly to blame for the injury-hit careers of former Arsenal players Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey.
- Arsenal chief Edu has put in place a three-part transfer plan ahead of next year. It includes selling Bernd Leno as they look to sell off players.
- Barcelona have reportedly put Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on a three-man shortlist to replace Ronald Koeman as manager.
- Barcelona face having to pay £10m compensation package if they choose to sack head coach Ronald Koeman, it has been claimed.
- Manchester United reportedly sent scouts to Lisbon last night to keep tabs on the Primeira Liga clash between Benfica and Boavista, as they continue to cast an eye over Portuguese talent.
- Manchester United are reportedly willing to sell Anthony Martial this summer - and the striker has never hidden his admiration for Arsenal.
- Premier League stars are refusing to take part in a publicity campaign encouraging players to get the Covid-19 vaccine in a further sign the issue is causing unease inside dressing rooms.
- Brain injury charity Headway has questioned Aston Villa's handling of John McGinn's head injury, with the midfielder set to miss their Carabao Cup clash with Chelsea due to concussion.
- Barcelona president Joan Laporta has asked for the club's supporters to 'stand by' the team following their terrible start to the 2021-2022 campaign.
- Ronald Koeman is clinging on to his job at Barcelona because the club cannot afford to get rid of him. If that situation changes next month then another former Everton coach, Roberto Martinez, is the man the board want to bring in to replace him.
- Mark Clattenburg says he has no regrets about retiring as one of the world's leading referees at just 41.
- Next season's FA Cup final will be played in June for the first time because of the fixture disruption caused by the 2022 World Cup in Qatar and the league will have its earliest start, according to a draft match schedule.
- Marcus Rashford saved free school meals during lockdown and is now about to take his place on the syllabus in recognition of his impact. Pupils starting a GCSE in media studies this month will learn about the Manchester United and England international's effective use of social media.
WHAT IS EXPECTED GOALS? USE xG TO INCREASE PROFITS IN FOOTBALL BETTING
- Derby County will be hit with a 12-point deduction on Wednesday after formally appointing administrators to try and save the crisis-hit club.
- Reading are locked in talks with the Football League over a points deduction which is likely to plunge them into a Championship relegation battle.
- Eddie Jones confirmed he is entering the "last chapter" of his England reign as he issued a warning to his captain and senior stars they must up their games to remain part of his World Cup plans.
- Xavi is already "preparing and training to coach Barcelona" according to his former midfield partner Andres Iniesta.
- Arsenal defender William Saliba has received a glowing report from Marseille manager Jorge Sampaoli.
THE DAILY STAR
- Both England and Spain are battling for the registration of Arsenal wonderkid Charlie Patino who has dual nationality despite featuring for the Three Lions at the U15, 16 and 17 stages.
- Barcelona reportedly turned down the chance to sign Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah when he was available for just £35m.
- Liverpool could be able to gazump Arsenal and sign Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma on a cut-price transfer deal as soon as the January transfer window.
- Transfer Deadline Day has been and gone, but former Brighton and Arsenal man Mat Ryan is looking to complete a few late moves of his own by selling his old furniture online.
- Celtic have appointed former Morton interim boss Anton McElhone as the club's new head of sports science.
- Nicola Sturgeon has announced Scottish football fans will not all need to show vaccine passports to attend matches.
- Celtic were "desperate" to keep Scott Brown at Parkhead this summer, Aberdeen boss Stephen Glass has claimed.