Tuesday's Paper Talk: Football transfer news, rumours and gossip including Nigel Pearson to Sheffield Wednesday
By Sporting Life
07:30 · TUE November 10, 2020
Nigel Pearson has emerged as a leading candidate to replace Gary Monk at Sheffield Wednesday - get all the latest from Tuesday's back pages here.
- There is growing concern at Manchester United about the application of Mason Greenwood in training.
- Premier League referees will back moves to persuade football's lawmakers to revert to the old handball law, with many match officials disillusioned by some of the decisions they have been obliged to make this season.
- Germany has emerged as the Football Association's preferred choice to stage England's Nations League game against Iceland if coronavirus travel restrictions mean the match cannot be played at Wembley.
- Sheffield Wednesday are considering Nigel Pearson as a replacement for Garry Monk, who was sacked on Monday evening.
- The Premier League is close to agreeing a blueprint with the Government to add Covid-19 vaccine records to a digital health passport which may fast-track the return of crowds next year.
- The Premier League will resist a campaign led by its biggest teams to ease their current fixture congestion, but will invite clubs to vote for a third time later this month over demands for five substitutes.
- Emiliano Martinez is targeting European football after insisting he has made a step up by leaving Arsenal for Aston Villa.
- The Football Association has told girls academies they can reopen during lockdown if they are able to meet elite protocols, but admitted they doubt many will have the resources to do so.
- Trent Alexander-Arnold is expected to be out for around four weeks after injuring his calf in Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Manchester City on Sunday.
- Virgil van Dijk is "going through hell" as he recovers from injury, according to Liverpool team-mate Georginio Wijnaldum.
- Manchester United are reportedly delaying the sale of Sergio Romero as they may loan out Dean Henderson for the rest of the season.
- Phillip Cocu is on thin ice at Derby but out-going owner Mel Morris is reluctant to sack him as it would cost him up to £4m.
- Juventus are reportedly ready to cash in on Cristiano Ronaldo next summer in a bid to cut costs and claw back some transfer funds.
- Karim Benzema's agent has slammed Raphael Varane for his performance in Real Madrid's 4-1 defeat to Valencia, claiming the defender is a "shadow of himself".
- Pablo Hernandez has been told to mend the rift between him and Marcelo Bielsa, as Leeds United's season threatens to unravel.
- Tottenham have reportedly been given the opportunity to re-sign Christian Eriksen in January.
- Andrew Cole says it is time this Manchester United team hit back at those revelling in their demise.
- West Ham are on red alert as French giants Lyon prepare to sell striker Moussa Dembele.
- Wolves are planning a January move for Lille's former Premier League flop Renato Sanches, according to reports.
- Manchester United are increasingly concerned over Mason Greenwood's attitude as the teenager continues to endure a difficult period in his fledgling career.
- England are facing the extraordinary prospect of playing their 'home' match against Iceland next week in Albania - a move which is set to spark another club-v-country row.
- Paris Saint-Germain superstar Neymar has reportedly told the club he wants to sign a new deal and is even helping the French giants scout new players.
- Premier League clubs believe the apparent breakthrough in a successful Covid vaccine will open the door to fans returning to stadiums by the end of the season.
- Manchester United could allow goalkeeper Dean Henderson to leave on loan in January as he bids for the England No 1 jersey.
- Chelsea are being blocked in a transfer for Malmo wonderkid Anel Ahmedhodzic by his agent - and the youngster's dad has spoken out.
- Ibrox star Alfredo Morelos has again been named in the Colombia squad - but faces a new threat in his bid to become first choice.
THE SCOTTISH SUN
- Jack Ross has backed fit-again Jamie Murphy to be a huge influence at Hibs.
- Paul McMullan has revealed he came close to joining Ross County last month.