Ahead of the weekend action, Friday's Paper Talk covers all the day's football gossip, including a new deal for Sadio Mane at Liverpool.
- Jose Mourinho is laying the groundwork to make a return to Real Madrid if they lose patience with under-fire head coach Zinedine Zidane.
- Mason Greenwood will sign a new deal with Manchester United before his 18th birthday on October 1.
- Barcelona have joined Manchester United in the chase for Red Bull Salzburg hotshot Erling Braut Haaland.
- Watford are trying to beat off competition from Hull City for the signature of Malmo prospect Kevin Harletun who will be available for just £140,000 in compensation.
- Liverpool have opened talks with Sadio Mane over a new five-and-a-half year deal that would see the Senegal forward become the club's highest paid player, earning around £220,000 a week.
- Industry insiders believe increased personal investment from owner Stan Kroenke was behind Arsenal's surprising summer transfer splurge.
- Questions are being asked why it took the Football Association two years to issue a ban to Peter Beardsley over his treatment of players at Newcastle.
- Crystal Palace, West Ham and Everton are all waiting to find out if Tottenham will recall Jack Clarke from his loan spell at Leeds United and could make moves for him in January.
- Barcelona expect to become the first club to generate over one billion euros in revenue in a single season.
- Inter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku and team-mate Marcelo Brozovic had to be separated by Alexis Sanchez after a dressing room row following their 1-1 Champions League draw against Slavia Prague on Tuesday.
- Football's governing bodies have been urged to bring in temporary concussion substitutes as soon as next season as part of proposals to overhaul the management of head injuries.
- Former Spain midfielder David Silva will sign for David Beckham's MLS expansion side Inter Miami when the 33-year-old leaves Manchester City at the end of the season.
- Chelsea are optimistic the ankle injury suffered by 20-year-old England midfielder Mason Mount against Valencia on Tuesday is not as serious as first feared. (Standard)
- Leicester sent scouts to watch 29-year-old Portugal full-back Andre Almeida play for Benfica against RB Leipzig in the Champions League on Tuesday. (leicester Mercury)
- Everton and Newcastle have been tracking the progress of Atlanta United's 25-year-old Venezuela striker Josef Martinez. (Chronicle)
- Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish, 24, is confident of breaking into the England squad after an inspirational conversation with Villa assistant John Terry helped convince him he is good enough to earn a call-up. (Standard)
- Former Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has revealed his new team Club Brugge wanted him back in January but the Reds refused to let him go. (Liverpool Echo)
- Free agent right-back and Premier League winner Danny Simpson has been training with Huddersfield Town this week. (Huddersfield Examiner)
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLifeFC
Related football links
- Alex Keble: Weekend PL reflections
- Watch: Arsenal waste two-goal lead
- Watch: Wilson double defeats Toffees
- Watch: Saturday's Premier League highlights
- Klopp praises quality Reds
- Champions League outright preview
- Europa League outright preview
- VAR view: From an ex-PL referee
- QUIZ: Premier League hat-tricks
- Would a 'Redzone' work for PL?
- Super 6: Enter NOW!
- Fantasy Football
- Football results