Transfer rumours and football gossip: Luis Diaz, Jesse Lingard, Tanguy NDombele
By Sporting Life
07:17 · FRI January 28, 2022
Read the latest football gossip and transfer rumours from the national newspapers with Sporting Life's Paper Talk.
- Tottenham have agreed a £48m swoop for Porto ace Luis Diaz, but the move is stuck in limbo as his two representatives are refusing to sign off the deal after super-agent Jorge Mendes has become embroiled in the move.
- Wolves are standing firm in their efforts to keep hold of Ruben Neves and are confident he will not leave this summer as they set a £40m asking price for the Portugal international.
- Crystal Palace are keen to turn Jean-Philippe Mateta's loan permanent after the Mainz striker won over Patrick Vieira.
- Neil Warnock could be back in management at 73 with Cardiff City and Bristol City both interested.
- Frank Lampard plans to recruit top-rated Chelsea coach Anthony Barry if he gets the Everton job.
- Arsenal are set to play Reading in a behind-closed-doors friendly when they return from their warm-weather training camp in Dubai.
- Southampton are interested in a move for Chelsea kid Tino Anjorin and would like to make Armando Broja's loan permanent - but more likely in the summer than this window.
- Birmingham are rivalling Bournemouth in the race for Peterborough star Siriki Dembele after the Cherries have had two bids of £1m and £1.3m rejected for the 25-year-old, whose deal is up in the summer.
- Manchester United are "petrified" of letting Jesse Lingard leave and him proving a success elsewhere, according to those close to the midfielder, after his proposed loan move to Newcastle effectively collapsed over United's insistence on a £12million survival payment if he helps the Toon stay up.
- Chelsea and Manchester City have each been dealt a blow to their transfer plans after Real Madrid stepped up their efforts to land AS Monaco star Aurelien Tchouameni and teenage sensation Endrick.
- Ashley Young has become the latest star to turn down Newcastle after telling Steven Gerrard he wants to stay at Aston Villa this month.
- Jose Mourinho is plotting to sign Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka as he looks to bolster the midfield options at his disposal at Roma.
- Ramon Vega has warned Tottenham could risk losing Antonio Conte unless they turn their "donkey into a race horse".
- Sevilla sporting director Monchi believes Diego Carlos will now stay at the club after they rejected what he believes will be Newcastle's final offer for the player.
- Arsenal are continuing their hunt for a striker, with Everton's Dominic Calvert-Lewin under consideration, although Borussia Dortmund are also monitoring the Toffees hitman as they brace for the potential loss of starman Erling Haaland in the summer.
- Adama Traore is finalising a loan move to Barcelona after his switch to Tottenham stalled.
- Cristiano Ronaldo blocked the Instagram account of transfer website Transfermarkt in March last year after taking offence at the valuation they had given him.
- Anthony Martial is yet to activate two clauses in his contract at Manchester United, including the infamous Ballon d'Or bonus, with his Old Trafford career on the rocks.
- Valerien Ismael is under increasing pressure as West Bromwich Albion manager after a run of poor results with players unconvinced by his approach and methods.
- Arsenal's move for Juventus midfielder Arthur could collapse after they refused to sanction an 18 month loan.
- Kieran Trippier has revealed that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy 'annoyed' him by offering him to other clubs a few months before his eventual exit - and hit out at the club for selling Mousa Dembele in 2019.
- Newcastle are set to secure the future of highly-rated midfielder Joe White after agreeing terms on a new contract.
- Tottenham Hotspur are finally close to agreeing a deal to move on Tanguy Ndombele with their flop record signing set to go to Paris Saint-Germain on loan for the rest of the season with an option to buy.
- Arsenal are close to a finalising a deal to sign USA goalkeeper Matt Turner from New England Revolution in the summer, with the fee expected to be about £6m with up to £2.5m in add-ons.
- Coaches operating in athletics with a restricted licence, or serving a limited suspension, could now be banned for life as part of a crackdown on sexual misconduct in the sport.
- Bodo/Glimt boss Kjetil Knutsen admits he hasn't a clue how his new-look side will look when they come up against Celtic.
THE SCOTTISH SUN
- Celtic striker Albian Ajeti has emerged as a transfer target for FC Basel.