Most Read Football

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte and Willian1

Willian's Conte dig

Willian appeared to fire a major dig towards under-pressure boss Antonio Conte, hours after Chelsea's FA Cup triumph.

Bosmans 2018: Some of the players available on free transfers this summer2

Summer transfer window free agents

George Pitts takes a look at the pick of the free agents available for Premier League clubs to sign in the summer transfer window.

Jamie Vardy3

Sunday's Paper Talk

We round up the latest news and gossip from Sunday's back pages, including Jamie Vardy being linked with a move to sunny Spain.

Fernando Torres scores on his last appearance for Atletico Madrid4

La Liga review: Torres ends on a high

Fernando Torres brought the curtain down on his Atletico Madrid career with two goals but it was not to be a victorious farewell as Eibar earned a 2-2 draw.

Rafa Benitez (left) worked with Fernando Torres (right) at Liverpool and Chelsea5

Rafa refuses to rule out 8/1 Torres

Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez has refused to rule out the possibility of signing Fernando Torres this summer.

Conor McGregor news: Former UFC champion McGregor charged with assault by New York police

Last Updated April 06 2018, 10:14Football
Conor McGregor
Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor has been charged with assault following his backstage disturbance during a media day for UFC 223 in New York.

The 29-year-old handed himself in to police after footage emerged online in which he appeared to throw a hand truck at a bus taking rival fighters away from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

McGregor is due to appear in court later on Friday, US police said.

A New York Police Department spokesman said: "He (McGregor) has been charged with three counts of assault and one of criminal mischief."

He added that 25-year-old Cian Cowley, also a mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter, from Hyde Park, Dalkey, has been charged with assault.

McGregor, who last fought when he was beaten by Floyd Mayweather in a boxing bout in August, was stripped of his UFC lightweight title on Thursday.

Later that day, the Irishman and an entourage were seen at a press conference for Saturday's event.

Footage quickly emerged on the Instagram story of undercard fighter Felice Herrig - captioned 'Conor McGregor causing trouble'.

Police earlier said one person had been injured as the bus window was smashed, with the chaotic scenes leading to three fights being cancelled this weekend.

Michael Chiesa, who received "several facial cuts", tweeted to say the New York State Athletic Commission had decided to pull him from his bout against Anthony Pettis.

UFC later released a statement, confirming Chiesa's injuries, and also said flyweight Ray Borg would not be taking part in his fight against Brandon Moreno due to "multiple cornea abrasions".

"Lightweight Michael Chiesa, who received several facial cuts, was deemed unfit to fight by the New York State Athletic Commission and the UFC medical team, and he was removed from his bout against Anthony Pettis," it said.

"Flyweight Ray Borg, who was scheduled to face Brandon Moreno, was deemed unfit to fight as well due to multiple cornea abrasions."

Artem Lobov, who was due to take part in a featherweight bout with Alex Caceres, was also removed from the card due to his "involvement in the incident", UFC said.

In an earlier statement, it said: "The organisation deems today's disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow.

"Immediately, Lobov has been removed from this weekend's card and individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow's ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday's event at Barclays Center."

The ugly scenes were condemned by UFC president Dana White, a long-time advocate of McGregor's, who called the incident "one of the most disgusting things that's happened in the history of the company".

White revealed at a press conference that McGregor's 155-pound championship will be up for grabs this weekend, with the Irishman having not fought in the Octagon since winning his belt in November 2016.

McGregor initially delivered a brief and to-the-point reaction, saying: "You's'll strip me of nothing you's do nothing c****".

McGregor had been expected to have his crown taken from him for some time.

Number one Tony Ferguson, who held the interim title in his absence, has been booked to fight Nurmagomedov on four occasions, but the bout is yet to take place.

Nurmagomedov will now face featherweight champion Holloway, with the winner claiming McGregor's crown and the interim belt becoming null and void when a new champion is decided.

Most Read Football

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte and Willian1

Willian's Conte dig

Willian appeared to fire a major dig towards under-pressure boss Antonio Conte, hours after Chelsea's FA Cup triumph.

Bosmans 2018: Some of the players available on free transfers this summer2

Summer transfer window free agents

George Pitts takes a look at the pick of the free agents available for Premier League clubs to sign in the summer transfer window.

Jamie Vardy3

Sunday's Paper Talk

We round up the latest news and gossip from Sunday's back pages, including Jamie Vardy being linked with a move to sunny Spain.

Fernando Torres scores on his last appearance for Atletico Madrid4

La Liga review: Torres ends on a high

Fernando Torres brought the curtain down on his Atletico Madrid career with two goals but it was not to be a victorious farewell as Eibar earned a 2-2 draw.

Rafa Benitez (left) worked with Fernando Torres (right) at Liverpool and Chelsea5

Rafa refuses to rule out 8/1 Torres

Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez has refused to rule out the possibility of signing Fernando Torres this summer.

Football Tips

Get your bets on!

Our best bets

Check out all of our available betting tips and previews of the forthcoming sporting action.

Leroy Sane is congratulated after scoring for Man City

Sporting Life: Tipping record

A look at how the Sporting Life recommended bets have performed.

Romelu Lukaku: The Manchester United forward celebrates his goal v Spurs in the FA Cup semi-final

FA Cup final betting tips

George Pitts thinks Manchester United will win the FA Cup for the second time in three years when they come up against Chelsea at Wembley.