Manchester City bounced back in the Premier League to win 2-0 at Crystal Palace and cut the gap at the top to five points ahead of Liverpool's match at Manchester United on Sunday.
Pep Guardiola's side scored twice in two first-half minutes after a stellar performance from Wayne Hennessey had kept them at bay for much of the opening period. Gabriel Jesus (39) nodded home before David Silva (41) tucked home through the goalkeeper's legs.
But Crystal Palace gave them some frights after the break, with Christian Benteke smacking the crossbar and Ederson forced into a superb save from a Wilfried Zaha shot with two minutes of normal time to play.
GABRIEL JESUS (via Sky Sports)
"We know when we come to Palace it's always difficult for us.
"I have to improve my football all the time. I have Aguero with me who is a legend for City, the top scorer for the club.
"I am very happy because last season I had a very difficult start. This season is going to be different for me. I work hard but I focus on the goal all the time which is why I score a lot."
- Manchester City have now won 12 of their 14 away Premier League games in 2019 (L2), at least three more than any other club this calendar year.
- Crystal Palace have lost 10 home league games since the start of last season; of ever-present Premier League sides in this time, only Burnley and Newcastle (both 11) have suffered more such defeats on home soil.
- In all competitions, Manchester City have won 16 of their last 19 meetings with Crystal Palace (D1 L2), scoring 47 goals in this stretch (2.5 per game).
- Gabriel Jesus scored his 50th goal for Manchester City in all competitions - the Brazilian has scored in each of his last seven starts for the club.
- Gabriel Jesus has been directly involved in 58 goals in his 64 starts across all competitions for Manchester City (45 goals, 13 assists), including scoring 21 in his last 20 games when featuring in the starting XI.
- Manchester City’s David Silva has been directly involved in eight goals in his last seven league starts against Crystal Palace (five goals, three assists).
- Raheem Sterling has amassed 13 goals and seven assists in just 16 appearances for Manchester City and England combined in 2019-20.
- There were just 93 seconds between Gabriel Jesus’ opener for Manchester City (38:42) and David Silva doubling the reigning champions’ lead (40:15).
Odds via Sky Bet and correct at time of publication
More preview content on Sporting Life
Manchester United welcome Liverpool on Sunday. We have everything you need to know ahead of their 55th Premier League meeting.
Super Sunday sees the return of one of the Premier League's biggest rivalries as Manchester United take on Liverpool, and Tom Carnduff has a brace of bets.
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLifeFC
Related football links
- WATCH: Premier League MD8 highlights
- Listen: Premier League Weekly podcast
- Pundits' panel: The season so far...
- Premier League: Winners & Losers
- 'United have recruitment plan' - Solskjaer
- In review: Liverpool's winning run
- Double injury blow for Man Utd
- QUIZ: Manchester United v Liverpool
- Watch: Woodgate on life as Boro boss
- My Football Life: James Coppinger
- Super 6: Enter NOW!
- Fantasy Football: Pick your team now!
- Football results
We are committed in our support of responsible gambling. Recommended bets are advised to over-18s and we strongly encourage readers to wager only what they can afford to lose.