Cardiff boosted their hopes of a Premier League great escape with a vital 2-0 victory which increases the relegation fears of fellow strugglers Brighton.
Goals either side of half-time from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Sean Morrison moved the 18th-placed Bluebirds to within two points of the Seagulls.
Toothless Brighton, who have managed just two top-flight goals at the Amex Stadium in 2019, once again struggled to create as they suffered a fourth successive league loss.
Glenn Murray headed against the woodwork in stoppage time but the Seagulls offered little in attack and remain anxiously looking over their shoulders.
With title-chasing Liverpool and Manchester United still to come this season, anything but a win on the south coast would have left the visitors with an improbable chance of avoiding an immediate return to the Sky Bet Championship.
- Cardiff have completed the league double over Brighton for the first time since the 1998-99 season in the fourth tier; having won the reverse fixture 2-1 in November.
- Cardiff City have won a top-flight away match by more than a single goal for the first time since November 1956 (2-0 at Charlton Athletic).
- Only already relegated Fulham (6) and Huddersfield (4) have won fewer Premier League points in 2019 than Brighton (8).
- Brighton have lost three consecutive home league games for the first time since January 2016 in the Championship - they failed to score a single goal in both these losing runs.
- Cardiff’s Nathaniel Mendez-Laing scored just his second Premier League goal of the season with the opener, each of his goals have come away from home on a Tuesday night
- Cardiff’s Sean Morrison has scored his third Premier League goal, his first for the Bluebirds and his first for 2327 days since scoring for Reading against Manchester United in December 2012.
- Before scoring his goal tonight, Cardiff City's Sean Morrison had the highest Expected Goals (xG) total in the Premier League of all players to not score in the competition in 2018-19 (3.6). He scored with his 27th shot of the season.
Wednesday's Champions League tips
Odds correct as of 2245 BST on 16/04/19