Super Sunday continues at the Amex Stadium as Brighton welcome Manchester United. George Pitts picks out his best bets.
Brighton v Manchester United (1600 BST, Sky Sports Main Event)
Home games were vital for Brighton's survival last season and it will be no different this time around as they look to retain their Premier League status for a second year running.
Chris Hughton's side were the eighth-best in the division on home turf in 2017/18, losing just four at the Amex and winning seven - including a 1-0 victory over Manchester United at the back end of the campaign which was crucial in sealing their top-flight place.
At a different time of season the Seagulls face an even tougher task, as they come up against Jose Mourinho's Red Devils who will be keen to make the best possible start to their Premier League title charge.
They overcame a tough test in their opening win over Leicester, while Hughton was critical of his Brighton side after going down at Watford and you can expect him to make changes to his side for this one.
If it was a different time of year, you could see Brighton getting something from this game but United will mean business and should quite comfortably leave the south coast with all three points.
Prediction: Brighton 0-2 Man Utd (Sky Bet odds: 13/2)
We expect them to win here and Jose Mourinho's Red Devils aren't exactly free-scorers, usually setting up tight defensively and grabbing the odd goal, so the correct score group betting gives you added insurance.
Romelu Lukaku only came on as a substitute in the win over Leicester last week after recently returning from his summer break. He had a couple of chances to net against the Foxes and he could spearhead Mourinho's line here, with much more chances to find the back of the net on the day than Alexis Sanchez.
The creative players behind the Belgian should provide him with plenty of opportunities and a best price of 8/5 to score anytime is eye-catching. Alternatively, with the week he has had and more talk of a rift with his manager, Paul Pogba will once again want to silence his critics.
The Frenchman has stepped up his role in this side after being handed the captain's armband and he needs to see his international performances translate to club level and 4/1 (anytime) to score again looks excellent.
For a RequestABet, the price may be a little short but it looks good value considering how we see this game panning out.
Brighton v Man Utd Opta stats
- Brighton have won their last two home league games against Manchester United, with these games being spaced almost 36 years apart (1-0 in November 1982, 1-0 in May 2018).
- In all competitions, Manchester United’s last away win against Brighton came in April 1982 (D1 L2 since), winning 1-0 thanks to a Ray Wilkins strike.
- Brighton were unbeaten in their four home Premier League games played on a Sunday last season (W2 D2). Meanwhile, Man Utd have lost four of their last five away league games played on Sunday (W1).
- Manchester United failed to score in their last two away league games of 2017-18, including a 0-1 loss at Brighton. They last went three without a goal on the road in the Premier League in April 2005.
- Brighton have lost their last three Premier League matches. They last lost four in a row in the top-flight between May 1983 and August 2017.
- Man Utd’s French midfielder Paul Pogba scored the Red Devils’ first Premier League goal this season, a penalty against Leicester – Pogba has been involved in 26 league goals (12 goals, 14 assists) under Jose Mourinho, more than any other Man Utd player.
- No Man Utd player has had more shots on target (2) or touches in the opposition box (3) in the Premier League this season than left-back Luke Shaw.
- Brighton’s Pascal Groß has had a hand in six goals in his last seven Premier League games at the Amex Stadium (3 goals, 3 assists).
- Man Utd forward Romelu Lukaku has scored against 17 of the current 20 Premier League sides – Brighton are one of the three he’s yet to score against (along with Cardiff and Wolves).
- Brighton’s Glenn Murray has played more Premier League minutes against Manchester United than he has vs any other team (344) – however, he’s yet to score against the Red Devils in the competition.
Follow Sporting Life on social media - find us on Facebook here or tweet @SportingLife
Odds correct as of 2100 BST on 17/08/18