Hutchins unlikely to return this year

  • Last Updated: February 22 2013, 12:33 GMT

Ross Hutchins admits his target of returning to tennis later this season is likely to prove unrealistic.

Hutchins: Looking at 2014 return
Hutchins: Looking at 2014 return

The British doubles specialist was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a form of cancer, in December, and began six months of chemotherapy last month.

He had hoped to be able to compete again this year but, although his treatment is going well, he now accepts the start of the 2014 season is more realistic.

Hutchins, 28, told BBC Radio Five Live: "I've realised the recovery after the six months will probably take three months and I will not be in great physical shape."

Hutchins has instead turned his attentions to organising a charity doubles match at Queen's Club this summer to raise money for The Royal Marsden hospital, where he is being treated.

'Rally Against Cancer' will take place on finals day at the AEGON Championships on June 16 and will feature Hutchins' close friend Andy Murray, Tim Henman and other big-name players and celebrities.

Hutchins said: "Having this project really helps me get up in the morning, not think about the cancer inside me, not worry about the scans I've got coming up, which will show the level of cancer either decreasing or increasing.

"Running this event with Chris (Kermode, AEGON Championships tournament director) doesn't work on my fitness, it works on my mental strength.

"It's just a great project for me and it's something that I will put all my attention into now for the coming months instead of maybe practising or worrying about a return.

"Hopefully I'll be able to do that next year come January and be ready to go with Colin Fleming in Australia."

Hutchins and Scot Fleming had established themselves as one of the world's leading doubles teams and were close to qualifying for the elite Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London last November.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week