Tomic denies being sacked
Bernard Tomic has refuted reports that he was sacked from Australia's Davis Cup team.
- Related Content
Tennis Australia released a statement on Thursday saying that Tomic would not take part in their opening Davis Cup fixture in 2013 because of concerns regarding his behaviour on and off the court.
"As a team, we just felt that part of the commitment that we make to athletes and athletes make to the sport is they always put 100 percent commitment and effort in competing for their country," said Craig Tiley, Tennis Australia's director of tennis.
"It's not one specific incident, just an aggregation of his approach to the game.
"We just felt that this decision should provide additional motivation every time he walks on the court to be a total professional in his approach to not only his preparation but competing in the match and post-match.
"And it would be no different if he was the number one player in Australia, or the number 100 player, or a junior."
However, Tomic, who has endured a horror year, insists that he had told Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter that he would not be available.
"I was never meant to play that Davis Cup tie as well, I spoke to Pat as well, and I'm going to use that time for training as well, to prepare for other tournaments in America," Tomic told Channel 10.
"I am working really hard and trying to push myself to become the best tennis player as I can be, and I've had a slippery slope the last year, and it's changing me, and I'll prove that I'm going to be the best player one day to play this game."
Tomic's on-court troubles include admitting to only playing at 85 per cent in the Shanghai Masters and garnering heavy criticism after a terrible final set capitulation against Andy Roddick in the US Open.
Outside of the world of tennis, the 20-year-old was questioned by police in October after a fight with a friend and last month was found guilty of failing to stop for police while driving and placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond.