Isner pulls out with ankle injury

  • Last Updated: August 22 2014, 10:27 BST

Top seed John Isner pulled out of the Winston-Salem Open on Thursday due to an ankle injury which leaves him in a race against time to be fit for the US Open.

John Isner: Forced to withdraw
John Isner: Forced to withdraw

American Isner was slated to face Lukas Rosol in the quarter-finals of the event in North Carolina but withdrew ahead of the match to hand the Czech a walkover to the semi-finals after he suffered an injury to his left ankle during his win over Mikhail Kukushkin on Wednesday.

Isner, a two-time Winston-Salem Open champion, said in a press conference that he took the decision to pull out in order to try and recover for the US Open, which begins on August 25.

"There's not much motion in my ankle right now so that's what ultimately led me to this decision," Isner said.

"It's one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make, as not playing last year was devastating and it's at the point where I can't risk further injury with the US Open around the corner. It's extremely disappointing.

"I'm playing well I don't feel like I'm short on matches as far as time on the court. OK I'm not going to have as much time as I normally would but I'm going to do everything I can to get it as fit as possible."

Jerzy Janowicz had no problems in his quarter-final as he defeated David Goffin 6-4 6-2 while Yen-Hsun Lu came through 6-4 6-4 against Andreas Seppi to line up a last-four meeting with Rosol.

Local favourite Sam Querrey recovered from a set down to win the other last-eight tie.

The big server lost the opener to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez on a tie-break but responded well for a 6-7 (7/3) 6-2 6-4 success.