Tsonga out of US Open
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has pulled out of the US Open as he continues to recover from the knee injury he aggravated at Wimbledon.
- Related Content
The world number eight was among a host of players who either did not start or did not complete their second-round matches at the All England Club.
Tsonga had hoped he would be fit for the year's final grand slam, which begins a week on Monday, but announced today that would not be the case.
The Frenchman wrote on his official website, www.jowiltsonga.fr: "Today I have to take care of me and make sure I can play 100%.
"The thinking is simple. The doctors told me that it would be at least two months for my tendon to partially heal and five months to be completely healed.
"Two months takes me to the US Open. It would be stupid to go there knowing full well that I have no chance because I'm not prepared enough."
Tsonga has been no stranger to injury during his career, and he added: "Everything that happened to me helps me a lot.
"I know exactly what I have, I know exactly how long it will take. Whenever I hurt myself, I often come back again even stronger."
The 28-year-old is aiming to return to the ATP World Tour at the tournament in Metz, which begins on September 16.
He said: "I still have one month. It will come soon, but I am optimistic."
Tsonga's best performance at the US Open came two years ago, when he reached the quarter-finals. Last year he suffered a surprise defeat by Martin Klizan in the second round.