Play stopped again in Murray v Cilic

  • Last Updated: July 3 2012, 14:22 BST

Andy Murray and Marin Cilic resumed their fourth-round clash at Wimbledon almost on time despite spits of rain on Court One but play did not last long.

Andy Murray: Match halted by poor weather

The pair had been forced off yesterday because of poor weather, with Murray leading 7-5 3-1 and 40-love, and having just broken serve in the second set to take a stranglehold on the match.

They returned to Court One as scheduled at midday but it began to spit with rain just as umpire Carlos Bernardes called time.

There was a brief delay before it was decided they could begin, and Murray needed only one point to move into a 4-1 lead.

Cilic then held serve before Bernardes decided the rain was too persistent and they went off court again after barely five minutes of play.

The rain did not last long but there were plenty of showers around and it was not until 1.05pm that the players returned to Court One.

It began to spit again as they warmed up but there were no further delays and Murray confidently held serve to love to move 5-2 in front.

The Scot looked confident and was hitting much more freely than yesterday, and a combination of backhand and forehand winners took him to set point on the Cilic serve.

He took it with another backhand return right at the feet of Cilic that the Croatian could only paddle into the net, but rain again cast a long shadow, although it looked like they were going to attempt continue.

The world number four lost his concentration a touch at the start of the third set and four times found himself break point down, but each time a big serve got him out of trouble and he held on.

It was raining more heavily than before and the players had an extended sit in their chairs at the change of ends, but they did not leave the court and were soon under way again.

Murray was so confident he finished the third game with a second-serve ace and then promptly broke again, a running forehand pass banging another nail in Cilic's coffin.

The 16th seed had gone into the clash on an eight-match winning streak on grass after lifting the AEGON Championships trophy at Queen's Club but he looked to have little appetite for a fightback.

He did save four break points in the sixth game to deny Murray a 5-1 lead, but it was only a temporary reprieve and the Scot clinched an impressive victory after two hours and 10 minutes when Cilic netted a backhand.

INTRO: Andy Murray beat the rain and Marin Cilic to book his place in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon for a fifth successive year.

The pair had been forced off yesterday with the fourth seed leading 7-5 3-1 and 40-love, and endured more disruption today before Murray clinched a 7-5 6-2 6-3 victory under leaden skies on Court One.

The Scot had looked nervy at the start yesterday but was much more fluent today and moved smoothly through to a last-eight meeting with Juan Martin Del Potro or David Ferrer.