Trump taken out by Joyce

  • Last Updated: December 10 2012, 9:20 GMT

World number one Judd Trump saw his hopes of defending the williamhill.com UK Championship title shattered by a first-round exit at the hands of Mark Joyce.

Judd Trump: First-round exit

Trump led 5-2 and was seemingly heading for a comfortable win in the best-of-11 contest, but Walsall journeyman Joyce produced a startling fightback to win 6-5.

Trump's concentration looked to slip and form certainly deserted him, with Joyce taking advantage to set up a second-round clash against World Championship runner-up Ali Carter, a 6-2 winner over 55-year-old Steve Davis.

Two years ago, Joyce also saw off Trump in the UK Championship, and Carter was another of his victims on his way to the quarter-finals, but he has failed to reproduce such form since, partly due to an arm injury.

Now the world number 50 can set himself a last-eight target again, while Trump heads home to Romford a beaten man.

Only last month Trump won the International Championship title, the most lucrative tournament China has ever staged, and he came to York's Barbican Centre as firm favourite to take another trophy.

"Nothing seemed to go right. I didn't play well," said Trump. "It's disappointing.

"I'd done well to go 5-2 in front but I didn't really have any clear-cut chances after that and my long-potting was just awful. You can't win them all."

Ali Carter launched his challenge with a scrappy win over Steve Davis.

World Championship runner-up Carter was a 6-2 winner over the man who won this tournament six times in the 1980s.

Both men struggled for fluency, Carter's highest break of 88 and an 85 from Davis in the seventh frame quite out of keeping with the flow of the match.

Yet Carter was the most consistent of the two, with the 33-year-old from Tiptree in the end a convincing winner over the 55-year-old Brentwood veteran.

Davis struggled with his long-potting and said: "Ali's a very strong player. I didn't really perform well enough. It was a relatively easy day out for Ali.

"I'm disappointed but I shouldn't get too upset because I did qualify. It's nice to play better out there than that.

"Ali's a potential winner of the tournament so I shouldn't moan.

"I expect him to win something big in the next couple of years."

Earlier China's dismal tournament continued as Cao Yupeng became the third player from snooker's boom nation to make a first-round exit.

Youngster Cao, who caused a stir in April by beating Mark Allen in the first round of the World Championship, never looked likely to build on that as he tumbled out 6-1 against veteran Hastings potter Mark Davis.

Cao joins a casualty list of Chinese players that began with defeats for Liang Wenbo and former UK champion Ding Junhui.

Shaun Murphy was UK champion in 2008 and the Manchester-based 30-year-old began another campaign with a comfortable enough 6-3 win over Gloucester's Robert Milkins.

Seven years have passed since Murphy made his big breakthrough by winning the World Championship as a qualifier.

He has four major ranking titles in all, and was a beaten finalist at the Masters in January, but the trophy tally should be higher according to the world number four - and his mother.

"My mum keeps telling me I should have won more and mums are normally right," Murphy said.

"I would have liked to have added a few more trophies to my trophy cabinet, of course I would, but having got the biggest two and lost in the final of the third biggest last season I feel I'm on the right track. At 30 I've got the rest of my career to add to it."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week