Wasps get better of Worcester

  • Last Updated: November 18 2012, 17:51 GMT

A review of the weekend's action in the LV= Cup with wins on Sunday for Wasps and Leicester.

Dean Schofield of Worcester is held up
Dean Schofield of Worcester is held up

Prop prospect Simon McIntyre grabbed an opportunist try to help sink Worcester for the second time this season as Wasps opened their account in the LV= Cup 28-19.

The 21-year-old former England Under-18 player, who scored his first Wasps try in October's 10-6 win over Worcester in the Aviva Premiership, notched his second as they bounced back from last weekend's 22-17 away defeat by Cardiff Blues.

Winger Jack Wallace and replacement scrum-half Charlie Davies scored the other Wasps tries with third-choice fly-half Tommy Bell contributing 13 points with a five-from-five goalkicking display.

Worcester replied with tries from centre Alex Grove, right wing Andy Short and replacement left wing Ben Howard, with fly-half Joe Carlisle landing two conversions.

Holders Leicester fought off a ferocious fightback by London Irish at Welford Road to get their campaign back on track.

Trailing 19-8 with 11 minutes left, Irish threw everything at Leicester who were down to 14 men and scored their second try of the afternoon to reduce the deficit to four points.

But Leicester kept their cool, fought their way upfield and young fly-half George Ford sealed a 22-15 victory with his fifth penalty of the game, taking his tally to 17 points.

Wing Tonderai Chavhanga scored only the third-ever hat-trick of tries for Newport Gwent Dragons but it was not enough to prevent his side's 30-20 defeat against Northampton.

Stand-off Ryan Lamb booted 20 points as the Saints turned on the style after the interval to overturn a 10-6 half-time deficit.

Flanker Phil Dowson and wing Jamie Elliott got the visitors' tries.

On Saturday, Ben Morgan showed England what they were missing with a hat-trick of tries in Gloucester's emphatic 46-20 win over London Welsh at Kingsholm.

A crowd of almost 10,000 saw Gloucester have the game won by the interval before sloppy play allowed the Welsh to compete more favourably in the second half.

Morgan and Freddie Burns, who were both released from the England squad for the game, were at the heart of the action.

Number eight Morgan claimed his try haul and also impressed with driving runs, while Burns was creative and collected 14 points with the boot.

Shane Monahan, Akapusi Qera and Koree Britton also claimed tries for the hosts, while Nick Scott and James Tideswell responded for a well-beaten Exiles side.

Exeter secured their second victory in this season's competition with a 23-13 win over the Ospreys which keeps them in contention to finish top of Pool One.

An error from Exeter captain Junior Poluleuligaga led to Ospreys scoring the opening try through number eight Morgan Allen.

Slade missed a penalty before the Chiefs scored their first try with 12 minutes of the first half remainin through Will Carrick-Smith.

Slade added the simple conversion but Ospreys were quickly back on level terms with a long range penalty from fly-half Davies.

Slade missed another penalty just before the break, but the Chiefs kept pressing for the second try and Myles Dorrian picked up from the ruck and slid over the line with Slade adding the extras.

Davies was wide with a 30-metre drop goal attempt, leaving the Chiefs 17-10 ahead at half-time, but he soon made amends in the second half with a penalty.

Left-wing Mark Foster then dropped the ball with the line at his mercy but, thankfully for the Chiefs, the referee pulled play back for a penalty for offside in front of the posts and two more Slade kicks saw them home.

Three penalties during the final quarter from replacement Aled Thomas saw the Scarlets claim their first win in this season's LV= Cup at the expense of regional rivals Cardiff Blues.

The visitors, who had opened their Anglo-Welsh campaign with a win over Wasps last weekend, led 13-3 during the opening half thanks to a try from flanker Luke Hamilton and eight points from fly-half Gareth Davies.

But the Scarlets hit back through a converted penalty try and a Liam Williams penalty to level.

Davies put the Blues back in front, but Thomas stepped up to give the hosts the victory.

Five penalties from Ben Botica and two from Louis Grimoldby were enough for Harlequins to see off Bath 21-12 at the Stoop on Friday night.

In a try-less encounter, Stephen Donald scored three penalties and Tom Heathcote one of his own as Bath kept in the match, but the visitors slipped further away after Grimoldby's two kicks stretched the lead and handed Quins their second victory in the competition.

Rob Miller's late penalty secured Sale Sharks' first triumph of this season's competition at the expense of Saracens at the Salford City Stadium.

Tries by Kameli Ratuvou and Joel Tomkins to go alongside 10 points from the boot of Nils Mordt gave Sarries a 20-12 half-time advantage, with Sale's response before the interval coming through Mark Cueto's score and a penalty try.

A Fraser McKenzie touchdown and a Danny Cipriani penalty took the Sharks into the lead before Ben Spencer's three-pointer edged the visitors ahead again, but Miller slotted a late penalty to earn the victory for the hosts.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week