Last-gasp Smith stuns Wasps

  • Last Updated: February 9 2014, 15:20 GMT

A review of the weekend's action in the Aviva Premiership as Harlequins claim a dramatic win over Wasps.

  • Ofisa Treviranus of London Irish takes on the Saracens defence
  • Gareth Steenson slots over a penalty for Exeter 

A last-gasp try from Sam Smith saw Harlequins record a fortunate 11-10 victory over London rivals Wasps.

For much of the match Wasps were the better side and it was not until Smith's late effort that the Quins troubled the try line.

They were lethargic and had to rely on penalties from Nick Evans and Ben Botica for the remainder of their points.

The Quins badly missed the spark of their absent England contingent and only the lively Karl Dickson could take much credit from a poor team performance.

On Saturday Northampton moved to the top of table thanks to a narrow 17-16 success at Exeter after a late try from George Pisi was converted by fly-half Stephen Myler.

The final minutes saw the Saints camped out close to the Chiefs line searching for seven points to steal the victory and a series of five-metre scrums led to Samoan international Pisi breaching the line, with Myler converting.

Home skipper Dean Mumm was sent to the sin-bin for stamping, but even with a man down the Devon side won a penalty for a high tackle on Gareth Steenson who slotted home.

The Saints then applied the pressure, kicking a penalty to the corner before the forwards gained ground to allow lock Samu Manoa to offload for full-back James Wilson to cross for the first try of the game.

Steenson pulled another long range penalty wide before finding his target to give the hosts the the lead.

TMO Ashley Rowden was then called into action to adjudicate on whether Samu Manoa had squeezed in at the corner or was bundled into touch. The former Premiership referee judged in the American international's favour to restore the Saints advantage.

Exeter kept battling away and another high tackle on Steenson in front of the posts allowed the half-back to land his third penalty to reduce the arrears at the break to 10-9.

The Chiefs started the second half well and Lewis picked up and found a gap to cross the line with Steenson converting.

With the Saints seeking a converted try to take the game they opted for another scrum and were again penalised. The third scrum stood up and the next attempt saw the ball pop out the back for the Chiefs to seize possession.

From a lineout Myler put a grubber kick through but replacement scrum-half Hayden Thomas collected and touched down.

However, yet another five-metre scrum saw Pisi burst through and Myler converted to break the Chiefs hearts.

London Irish eased their relegation worries after three first-half tries were enough to condemn former leaders Saracens to a first defeat at Allianz Park this season as the visitors claimed a 22-13 win on Saturday.

The Exiles had won just one of their last six matches against Sarries but led 22-8 at the break thanks to tries from Matt Parr, Alex Lewington and George Skivington.

Saracens had led briefly through Marcelo Bosch's try in the 13th minute but - despite London Irish twice being reduced temporarily to 14 men - the league leaders failed to build any momentum.

Schalk Brits' try five minutes before the end gave them hope but Charlie Hodgson failed with the conversion attempt as Irish ran out winners.

Bath huffed and puffed their way to a ninth Aviva Premiership victory to help cement their third place in the overall league standings after they saw off Newcastle Falcons 24-6.

Tries from Horacio Agulla, Leroy Houston and Francois Louw, all converted by George Ford, secured the points - but it was a far from convincing performance.

Bath won 21-0 at Kingston Park in September but found the Falcons a much tougher proposition this time around.

Phil Godman's two penalties even edged the visitors into a 6-3 lead early in the second half before Bath's power game wrested the initiative away.

Worcester remained winless in the Aviva Premiership this season but gave champions Leicester a mighty fright at Sixways on Friday night before losing by one point.

The Tigers needed two tries from impressive wing Vereniki Goneva and 10 points from the boot of Toby Flood for their 23-22 victory.

Some superb goal-kicking from Worcester full-back Chris Pennell kept the Warriors in contention throughout - he slotted five penalties from six attempts and converted the hosts' only try, scored by Josh Drauniniu.

Worcester were unrecognisable from last week's dismal performance in a 42-3 home loss to Exeter. They were second best in the scrum, but matched the Tigers in every other department in a thrilling encounter.

Mike Williams and James Percival were at the forefront of a huge effort from their pack, with David Lemi, Drauniniu and Pennell all running with purpose to trouble the visitors' defence.

Two tries each from Rob Miller and Dan Braid put Sale to within touching distance of the play-off places following a 24-19 triumph over Gloucester at the AJ Bell Stadium.

An excellent first half, in which both teams looked to move the ball wide, saw Sale take a 17-10 lead through two tries from Miller and another from Braid.

The Cherry and Whites responded with two scores of their own before the break thanks to Martyn Thomas and Charlie Sharples, but they could not prevent an impressive Sharks side from registering their seventh domestic success.

Braid's second touchdown, which sealed the bonus point, effectively took the game out of Gloucester's reach, although three Freddie Burns' penalties gave them a losing bonus point.

New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30