Bath end Euro winless run

  • Last Updated: October 14 2012, 15:29 BST

A review of the weekend's action in the Amlin Challenge Cup.

Remy Bonfils touches down for Stade Francais

Bath claimed their first away win in Europe in almost two years with a convincing 40-17 Amlin Challenge Cup bonus-point success over Bucharest Wolves.

Sam Vesty scored 20 points as the Aviva Premiership outfit strolled to a five-try victory at Arcul de Triumf.

The 2008 winners had not won on the continent in European competition for five matches since their triumph against Aironi in the Heineken Cup.

Lock Will Spencer and hooker Ross Batty scored first-half tries before Vesty, Ollie Devoto and Kane Palma-Newport all crossed to seal maximum points for Gary Gold's troops.

Bucharest scored twice themselves through Florin Surugiu and Christian Munteanu but they proved to be merely consolation scores.

In the pool's other game Agen were narrow 36-31 winners at Calvisano.

Elsewhere London Welsh were heavily beaten after facing a tough baptism of fire in Europe against established French outfit Stade Francais, who claimed a comfortable 68-19 nine-try win at the Kassam Stadium.

Outside-half Gavin Henson scored the first points for the Exiles at this level, but Lyn Jones' men trailed 35-16 at half-time.

Stade Francais hooker Remi Bonfils and centre Waisea Vuidarvuwalu both crossed twice to secure the bonus point before Hugo Bonneval touched down for a fifth first-half try.

Daniel George scored Welsh's first try, but Felipe Contepomi added the gloss on an excellent individual display with a 75th-minute score in a 25-point haul as Stade started their Pool Five campaign in style.

Worcester Warriors taught Gernika a severe lesson with a thumping 85-5 success in Pool Two.

This was the Spanish champions' European debut, but it turned into a nightmare as the Warriors crossed 13 times.

Gernika wing Toto Mazzochi scored on the hour mark, but the joy was short-lived as Richard Hill's side ran riot in this one-way contest.

Replacement Max Stelling grabbed a six-minute hat-trick late on, wing Andy Short and scrum-half Paul Hodgson scored try doubles while number 10 Joe Carlisle bagged 25 points with a try and 10 conversions.

In the pool's other game, French giants Perpignan thrashed Rovigo in a 10 try 79-12 romp at the Stadio Mario Battaglini.

London Irish made light work of Bordeaux in Pool One with a routine 43-9 away win.

Sailosi Tagicakibau scored twice while Chris Hala'ufia, Topsy Ojo, Halani Aulika and Jonathan Joseph all crossed for the Exiles.

London Wasps claimed maximum points with a commanding 38-25 home win over Newport Gwent Dragons in Pool Three.

Dai Young's men were too hot handle for the Welsh region at Adams Park and deserved their four-try victory.

Jack Wallace, Fabio Staibano, Billy Vunipola and Joe Simpson all crossed for the 2003 champions.

The Dragons got off to a flyer when qualified pilot Andrew Hughes scorched over for a second-minute try but that was as good as it got for Darren Edwards' outfit.

On Friday night, Grenoble kicked off their campaign with a 59-3 win over Cavalieri Prato at the Stade Lesdiguieres.

The eight-try victory was a perfect return to the competition by the Top 14 side after a seven-year absence and sounded out a warning to their Pool Five rivals in the process.

Cavalieri Prato held Grenoble to a 19-3 half-time lead, but the floodgates opened after the break and further tries from Flavein Nouhaillaguet, Gregory Fabro, Alexandre Pollard and Jonathan Pelissie completed the one-sided affair.

Bayonne also posted a high-scoring victory after thumping Mogliano 71-7 at the Stade Jean Dauger. The French outfit bagged a total of 11 tries with winger Marvin O'Connor leading the way with two.

On the opening night, Andy Hazell was sent off as Gloucester launched their European campaign with an 11-6 victory in an ill-tempered clash with Mont de Marsan at Stade Guy Boniface.

Hazell received a red card midway through the second period after he aimed a flurry of punches at an opponent on the floor and used his knee.

Back-row colleague Matt Cox was sin-binned for an off-the-ball challenge in the same incident that meant Gloucester were temporarily reduced to 13 men.

But the Premiership club prevailed thanks to wing Ian Clark's 30th-minute try, while Tim Taylor and Billy Twelvetrees booted second-half penalties.

Full-back Jean Baptiste Claverie kicked two penalties for the home side.

Click here for a completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet