Exiles leave it late

  • Last Updated: September 16 2012, 17:50 BST

A review of the weekend's action in the Aviva Premiership, including a first victory for London Welsh.

London Welsh celebrate their late winner

London Welsh secured their first Aviva Premiership win when Seb Jewell converted Ed Jackson's late try to snatch a 25-24 victory over Exeter at Oxford's Kassam Stadium.

The Exiles battled all the way to overcome the Chiefs, who qualified for the Heineken Cup by finishing fifth last season.

Trailing 14-0 after 11 minutes, they hit back to finally snatch victory when a tremendous effort from their pack ended with Jackson driving over after 78 minutes to leave Jewell, who had come on for Gordon Ross six minutes earlier, a straightforward conversion.

The Exiles' earlier scores had come from a penalty try and a 70-yard interception try by left-wing Nick Scott. Former Scotland fly-half Gordon Ross landed two penalties and a conversion.

Full-back Luke Arscott, winger Matt Jess and No 8 Richard Baxter scored Exeter's tries. Fly-half Ignacio Mieres landed three conversions with his second-half replacement Gareth Steenson kicking a penalty.

Reigning champions Harlequins made it three wins from three with a hard-earned 37-14 victory over battling Sale at The Stoop on Saturday.

Quins secured their bonus point with a last-minute try from Mike Brown, which man of the match Nick Evans converted for a match tally of 17 points.

The final scoreline was harsh on the Sharks who competed throughout but the Quins were always the more creative side.

Ugo Monye scored a first-minute try while Jordan Turner-Hall and George Robson also crossed for the hosts while Richie Vernon was the only Sale player to go over.

Stephen Jones landed 23 points on his Wasps debut to help his new club beat London Irish 43-14 at Adams Park to register their first Aviva Premiership win of the season at the third attempt.

The 34-year-old Welshman, with 104 caps for his country, produced a perfect kicking performance, slotting five penalties and also converting two tries from Tom Varndell and one each from scrum-half Joe Simpson and replacement prop Zak Taulafo.

It provided a bonus-point winning start for Wasps' new ownership consortium who took control of the club from former owner Steve Hayes this week.

Irish replied with a try from England Under-20 winger Marland Yarde and three penalties from fly-half Steven Shingler.

But they suffered their third successive defeat of the new campaign, in which they have now conceded 123 points.

Former England fly-half Charlie Hodgson went from hero to villain as the clash between Saracens and Leicester ended in a 9-9 draw at Wembley.

After replacing the woefully off-colour Owen Farrell early in the second half Hodgson's kicking - both from the tee and in open play - dragged Saracens back into the game.

However, after kicking two penalties in quick succession to level proceedings, the 31-year-old was off target with a last-gasp drop goal in front of the posts.

Another England fly-half, Toby Flood, kicked the three penalties that had seemingly put Leicester on course for victory but the Tigers pivot was also off-target with a drop-goal attempt with the last kick of the game as the points were shared.

Gloucester substitute Freddie Burns denied Worcester their first win of the season with a dramatic penalty strike six minutes into injury time to earn a 16-16 draw at Sixways.

Andy Goode looked to have secured victory for the Warriors just two minutes earlier after Gloucester skipper Jim Hamilton recklessly pushed Worcester lock James Percival at a lineout.

But Worcester could not hold on, and Burns struck with the final kick of an otherwise dire contest to secure a draw.

On Friday night, Stephen Myler kicked five penalties as Northampton made it three wins out of three.

But their second away win of the campaign - 18-14 at Bath - was achieved at the cost of a nasty looking ankle injury to England's Ben Foden in the second half.

His replacement, Tom May, wrapped things up with a drop goal four minutes from time.

The only try of the game came after just 70 seconds through Nick Abendanon but Bath were again reliant on the goal-kicking of Olly Barkley, who landed three penalties.