Chiefs 37 - 29 Sharks

Match info: Super Rugby at Waikato Stadium

Date: 27/04/2013 KO: 08:35

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesTikoirotuma (8) Tikoirotuma (8) Aki (11) Aki (12) Nanai-Williams (15, 47) Nanai-Williams (15, 46)ConversionsAnscombe (9, 13, 17, 49) Anscombe (9, 12, 17, 47)PenaltiesAnscombe (6, 53) Anscombe (54, 7) Cruden (80) Cruden (80)



TriesMinnie (20, 37, 21, 38) Mtembu (32) Mtembu (33) Daniel (60, 59)ConversionsLambie (21, 38, 60) Lambie (22, 39, 60)PenaltiesLambie (78) Lambie (79)

FT (ht: 24-19)

  • Last Updated: April 27 2013, 11:26 BST

The Chiefs got the better of the Sharks in a high-scoring rematch of last year's Super Rugby final at Waikato Stadium.

Bundee Aki bursts clear to score a Sharks try
Bundee Aki bursts clear to score a Sharks try

While repeating their success from a year ago was important for the New Zealanders, arresting a two-game losing run was of more value and they condemned their opponents to a third defeat in a row in the process.

They were out of the blocks quickly and never looked back, with credit due to the Sharks for at least managing to avoid what had looked set to be a drubbing.

Gareth Anscombe kicked a sixth-minute penalty after an infringement and five minutes later was tagging a conversion onto Asaeli Tikoirotuma's try in the corner.

Two minutes later Liam Messam set Bundee Aki free for a second touchdown and, when Anscombe again split the posts, the score was 17-0.

The onslaught was relentless and with just a quarter of an hour gone the home side had a third try, with Tim Nanai-Williams stripping his opposite number and sprinting through on the outside, with Anscombe again on target.

It was important for the Sharks to get a grip of what was happening and with 21 minutes gone they started that process as Derick Minnie crept over for a try converted by Patrick Lambie.

As with the home team, one try turned into two and Lubabalo Mtembu backed up Lambie and took his inside pass to score.

The symmetry in scoring patterns was completed soon after too as, with three minutes to go until the break, a third Sharks try arrived when Minnie picked up possession from the lineout and went over. A Lambie conversion made it 24-19.

The Chiefs had been rattled but regrouped and scored seven minutes after the interval; Nanai-Williams getting the bonus-point try after an Aaron Cruden kick.

Anscombe then slotted a penalty but again the visitors responded and Keegan Daniel burst through and Lambie converted.

Time would beat them, though, despite Lambie and Cruden trading late penalties.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet