Harlequins 23 - 6 London Welsh

Match info: Anglo-Welsh Cup at The Stoop

Date: 26/01/2013 KO: 15:00 Att: 12,356

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesLambert (15) Ward (74)ConversionsBotica (15, 74)PenaltiesBotica (20, 46, 65)


London Welsh

PenaltiesDavies (14, 25)

FT (ht: 10-6)

  • Last Updated: January 26 2013, 17:06 GMT

Harlequins went to the top of Pool One of the LV= Cup with a flattering 23-6 victory over a battling Welsh side in a scrappy match at The Stoop.

Tom Guest: Impressed for the hosts
Tom Guest: Impressed for the hosts

The Quins now face Ospreys at Bridgend next Sunday in their final group fixture when a draw would be sufficient to see them through to the semi-finals.

For Welsh it was their third consecutive defeat in the tournament which leaves them bottom of Pool Four without a single point.

The game was very poor despite both teams trying to run the ball at every opportunity. At times it resembled a sevens match as both were guilty of regularly turning over possession. There were far too much handling errors as neither side could bring any continuity to their play.

The home side dominated the set scrum as the Welsh retreated at every engagement but in the loose the visitors were the masters and their hard-working pack were very unlucky to come away with no reward.

Harlequins had impressive performers in forwards Tom Guest and Luke Wallace and behind the scrum had far more pace than their opposite numbers but they failed to capitalise on their advantage.

Harlequins were without all their England squad members while London Welsh fielded half their first choice line-up, including outside-half, Gordon Ross, who made his 100th appearance for the Welsh.

The visitors had the better of the opening 10 minutes, having more possession and territory but they lacked the creativity to break down the Quins' defence.

However they deservedly took the lead after 13 minutes when Alex Davies kicked a penalty as the hosts were pinged for diving in at a ruck.

Back came Harlequins with an immediate response, Welsh were careless in dealing with the restart kick allowing Seb Stegmann to secure possession and make ground. The ball was swiftly recycled and moved along the line for Sam Smith to run elusively before being hauled down just short of the line. Prop, Mark Lambert, was on hand to crash over for the try which Ben Botica converted before adding a penalty goal.

Quins full back, Ollie Lindsay-Hague, fumbled the restart allowing the visitors a platform in the opposition 22 enabling them to reduce the arrears when Davies fired over a simple penalty.

Welsh continued to dominate possession but just could not break down a stubborn Quins defence so the visitors were still 10-6 behind at the interval.

Welsh suffered a blow when centre Seb Jewell was withdrawn at half-time as he was suffering from concussion while Quins also made a change replacing Tom Casson with Harry Sloan.

The uneventful second half was evenly contested but it was Quins who extended their lead with two further penalties from Botica after 46 and 64 minutes respectively.

Following Botica's second success, Quins dominated the match for the first time and six minutes from time they secured the win when Welsh messed up a line-out on their own line allowing hooker Dave Ward a simple try which Botica converted.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week