Harlequins 16 - 17 Wasps

Match info: Premiership at The Stoop

Date: 09/02/2013 KO: 20:00 Att: 12,500

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesHooper (21)ConversionsEvans (21)PenaltiesEvans (18, 40, 72)



TriesVarndell (8) Wade  (13)ConversionsRobinson (8, 13)PenaltiesRobinson (60)

FT (ht: 13-14)

  • Last Updated: February 9 2013, 22:38 GMT

Wasps' deadly wing duo Tom Varndell and Christian Wade both struck to sink Aviva Premiership leaders Harlequins 17-16 as Nick Evans missed the chance to pinch victory for the champions at the death.

Wasps celebrate as the final whistle is blown
Wasps celebrate as the final whistle is blown

Varndell and Wade both scored first half tries and while Quins romped back, Evans missed a 78th-minute penalty which would have almost certainly won it for his side and extended their winning run to 11 matches.

Evans downed Wasps at the death in a 42-40 thriller at Twickenham on the first day on the season but he missed out this time.

Instead, Wasps bounced back into the top four with a first win at the Stoop in six years, and their second away win of the campaign.

Wasps were handed the chance to take the lead in the sixth minute when Tom Guest was penalised by referee JP Doyle but Nicky Robinson was wayward with his 35-metre penalty.

But just a minute later the visitors were ahead, Varndell intercepting Evans' pass and streaking clear to dot down under the posts for his 50th try for Wasps.

Evans missed a straightforward penalty soon after and Wasps doubled their advantage in the 14th minute with a fine counter-attacking move.

Quins full-back Ross Chisholm booted straight down Varndell's throat and the ball was swiftly spread to Wade on the opposite wing.

He fed Elliot Daly, who in turn found fellow centre Chris Bell, who expertly fed the supporting Wade on the outside - and the England Saxons wing stormed clear for his 17th Premiership try.

In the 18th minute Harlequins finally got themselves on the scoresheet after Bell had been sent to the sin-bin for a high tackle on Nick Easter.

Evans this time made no mistake from the tee and three minutes later the hosts had their first try of the match through Matt Hopper.

A bulldozing run from heavyweight prop James Johnston saw Quins break the Wasps' line down the left and the ball was worked to Hopper, who kicked towards the corner.

Wasps full-back Hugo Southwell appeared all set to mop up but he completely missed his kick, allowing Hopper to gather the ball and touch down under the posts. Evans added the extras.

Daly was then short with a penalty effort from halfway before Evans trimmed the gap to 14-13 before the interval with his second three-pointer.

After the break Robinson was almost culpable for Quins' second try of the night when his kick was charged down by Evans but the Kiwi fly-half's punt forward was wayward and Bell got back to snuff out the danger.

Harlequins continued to press but it was Wasps who scored next - Robinson on target with another penalty after an infringement from flanker Luke Wallace on the hour.

Evans was handed the chance to reduce the deficit to one point again when Billy Vunipola was penalised for slowing the ball down - but once more he dragged his effort wide.

He made up for it soon after with another penalty but with less than two minutes to go he missed the target again as Wasps clung on for the win.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week