South Africa 30 - 17 Scotland

Match info: International at

Date: 15/06/2013 KO: 16:15 Att: 30,018

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers

South Africa

TriesPenalty (49) Engelbrecht (56) Serfontein (80)ConversionsSteyn (50, 56) Lambie (80)PenaltiesSteyn (13, 18) Lambie (75)



TriesScott (21) Dunbar (43)ConversionsLaidlaw (21, 44)PenaltiesLaidlaw (8)

FT (ht: 6-10)

  • Last Updated: June 16 2013, 9:28 BST

Post-match reaction to South Africa's 30-17 victory over Scotland.

JJ Engelbrecht scores a South Africa try
JJ Engelbrecht scores a South Africa try

Scotland head coach Scott Johnson reacted with unrestrained fury at the yellow card shown to second-rower Jim Hamilton which played a significant part in letting South Africa recover from 17-6 down to beat his team 30-17.

Asked if there should be any citings after the game he was blunt: "Yes, the fourth official," he said.

Although the pushing incident that led to Hamilton being sent from the field happened in front of referee Roman Poite and his assistant Neil Hennessy, it was television match official Gerrie Coetzee who was asked for a ruling.

Johnson continued: "I am bitterly disappointed. I believe we could have won and would go as far as to say that I think we should have.

"There was a 10-minute period where we were down to 14 men and we're not playing tiddlywinks. I've never seen someone sin-binned for that before.

"It was ridiculous. I was watching a game of rugby where you saw that kind of thing right the way through. That was nothing but embarrassing.

"Ten minutes for that? That was handbag stuff and it ruined a great, competitive game of footy. It certainly allowed the Boks back into the game and all I'm asking for is consistency. That was completely inconsistent.

"Did the punishment fit the crime? That would be my argument. You saw that happening several times in the game. And you can ask me a thousand times and I won't change my mind. That punishment didn't fit the crime."

Johnson was also outspoken in his criticism of Poite's handling of the game, adding: "I don't usually have a crack at officials - my record will tell you that. But this is a crack. We want consistency and tonight was inconsistent.

"We did wonderfully well. When you look at the injuries we had, and the injuries on the pitch as well with two 10s (fly- halves) down, I was nearly getting my boots on and I haven't played for 30 years.

"We were brave and resilient and I was in that box and have not been so animated in my life. I was animated because of the effort.

"I asked the boys for a special effort and they gave me everything. We were up a against a quality rugby team and we knew that."

Scotland felt the full force of the game with both starting fly-half Ruaridh Jackson and his replacement Peter Horne being taken off, as was flanker Ryan Wilson. This at the end of a week where three players from the weakened squad have already had to go home. All three of today's casualties are doubtful for the rest of the tour.

Hooker Scott Lawson added: "Pride at the performance, you can't take that away, but for me the overriding emotion is frustration at the result.

"It was a Test match against the South Africans that we could have won, so it had to be frustration.

Matt Scott, who scored the opening try, said: "At the start of the game it felt a good vibe.

"You get a feeling at the start and it felt that we were up for it, we were wanting to make tackles and dominate the collisions, Up until the last minute we still could have won the game.

"Everyone is gutted, myself included. We were distraught at the final whistle - to have conceded that final try as well.

"All the effort you have put in is in vain. We restored a bit of pride after last week and made the South Africans respect us during the game."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet