Harlequins 47 - 8 Connacht

Match info: Rugby Champions Cup at The Stoop

Date: 12/01/2013 KO: 13:35 Att: 13,270

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesPenalty (35) Williams (42, 53) Monye (65) Lowe (79) Botica (80)ConversionsEvans (35, 42, 80) Botica (79)PenaltiesEvans (9, 14, 40)



TriesO'Connor (63)PenaltiesJarvis (11)

FT (ht: 16-3)

  • Last Updated: January 12 2013, 17:53 GMT

Harlequins director of rugby Conor O'Shea was a happy man as his side qualified for the Heineken Cup quarter-finals with a bonus point 47-8 win over Connacht at the Stoop.

Conor O'Shea: Hoping for home comforts
Conor O'Shea: Hoping for home comforts

The Quins took some time to subdue an enterprising Irish side and were fortunate to lead 6-3 after the first half an hour. Their set scrum then emphasised their superiority to ensure there was no way back for the Irish who were briefly reduced to 12 men in the second half as they fell to a heavy defeat.

The Quins' final group game is at Biarritz next Friday, on which will depend whether they can secure a home tie in the competition when it resumes in April.

O'Shea said: "I am really delighted, we are almost guaranteed a home quarter-final.

"We will enjoy tonight and have the opportunity of looking forward to that quarter-final at the Stoop on a hard pitch in April."

The Quins took some time to subdue an enterprising Connacht side, which O'Shea accepted.

"Connacht came to play rugby; it was tough for long periods especially as we played into a stiff breeze in the first half. The penalty try just before half-time gave us breathing space.

"We were far more direct in the second half and played some superb rugby."

Connacht counterpart Eric Elwood reflected on missed chances for his side.

"We had some great opportunities in the first half-hour and didn't have any reward.

"We had four or five great line-breaks and didn't finish them off.

"How we were 6-3 down after 35 minutes I just don't know but Quins scored just before and after half-time to build up a cushy lead."

Elwood also bemoaned the loss of three players in the second half to the sin-bin.

He added: "The referee was particularly harsh, Johnny O'Connor was a nothing affair and Vainikolo's was a 50-50 tussle for the ball with Ugo Monye.

"It's impossible to defend with 12 or 13 players."

Monye celebrated his 200th game for the Quins with a splendid solo effort to collect the bonus point which drew appreciation from O'Shea.

"Ugo's try gave me the most pleasure of all. He has had a heck of a lot of good offers from other clubs but he has remained with us and he still has a lot to offer. I'm delighted for him" said O'Shea.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week