Dramatic late win for Leeds

  • Last Updated: June 29 2014, 17:51 BST

A review of the weekend's action in the First Utility Super League, including wins for Leeds Rhinos and Warrington.

Liam Sutcliffe: Helped Leeds Rhinos claim victory
Liam Sutcliffe: Helped Leeds Rhinos claim victory

Teenager Liam Sutcliffe kicked an injury-time penalty as Leeds Rhinos broke Catalan Dragons hearts with a 32-31 victory after a breathtaking finish to their First Utility Super League match at Headingley.

The Frenchmen were poised to make history with their first-ever win at Leeds when Morgan Escare's 77th-minute drop-goal put them 31-30 in front but a lack of composure brought their downfall.

The visitors gave away possession from the restart when the ball failed to go 10 metres and, after conceding another penalty right at the end for obstruction while in possession, 19-year-old Sutcliffe - deputising for injured captain Kevin Sinfield - maintained his composure to land the 30-metre goal which secured a 32-31 victory.

It was a fortuitous win for the Rhinos but a fitting way for Jamie Peacock to mark his 400th Super League appearance as he stood in as captain in the absence of Sinfield, who missed only his second match of the season with a back injury.

Catalan, who had lost on all nine previous visits to Headingley, were inspired by full-back Escare and Australian scrum-half Sam Williams, who created two tries and kicked five goals from six attempts on an impressive first start for the club.

Ryan Hall, Ben Jones-Bishop, Josh Walters, Joel Moon (2) and Carl Ablett scored Leeds' tries.

Warrington made it a miserable start for new Bradford coach Jimmy Lowes in his first match after taking over from sacked Francis Cummins.

The Wolves ran in nine tries to win 50-24 victory as they made amends for their shock Super League defeat at Bradford in May.

Gareth O'Brien, back from a loan stint at Swinton, was outstanding for Warrington with a brace of tries with Joel Monaghan also notching two touchdowns in their biggest Super League win of the season.

The defeat leaves Bradford nine points behind third from bottom Salford with only nine Super League games remaining - and adds more importance to the Bulls High Court appeal against a six points points deduction by the Rugby Football League for going into administration for the second time in 18 months.

Ben Harrison, Ryan Atkins, Ben Westwood, Gene Ormsby and Rhys Evans were Warrington's other tryscorers while Brett Kearney, Adrian Purtell, Tom Olbison and Jay Pitts went over for the visitors.

In Sunday's other game, Joe Westerman held his nerve to kick a last-gasp conversion which gave Hull FC a share of spoils and denied Wakefield Trinity Wildcats a third straight Super League victory.

The decision to appoint James Webster as head coach has sparked a Wakefield revival and they looked to have built on wins over London Broncos and Wigan Warriors after Nick Scruton's late try, but Westerman converted Kirk Yeaman's try from out wide to earn the Black and Whites a 20-20 draw.

Richard Mathers, Chris Riley and Reece Lyne scored Wakefield's other tries while Setaimata Sa and Richard Horne also crossing for the visitors in addition to Yeaman's other effort.

On Saturday, Widnes Vikings survived a late fightback at the Hive to end a five-match winless run in Super League and condemn bottom club London Broncos to yet another defeat.

Patrick Ah Van, Hep Cahill, and Danny Galea touched down in the first-half for the visitors, before Rhys Hanbury and Paddy Flynn each scored a double in the second period to seal a 42-24 win.

James Greenwood, Atelea Vea and Matt Cook gave Broncos some hope at the end of the game, after Denny Solomona's first-half try, but these proved to be no more than a consolation.

Jake Webster's last-gasp score for Castleford ruined Rangi Chase's return to the Tigers as they picked up their first win in three games in the most dramatic fashion possible, beating Salford 14-10.

Trailing by two points with seconds left, Cas dug in deep to snap their losing run and cement their position in the top four with a superb victory in a thrilling manner.

Daryl Clark was the architect; he broke down the right before sending Webster over for the game's winning score. Marc Sneyd goaled, but by that point, the hooter had already sounded.