Rovers notch first victory

  • Last Updated: February 17 2013, 18:03 GMT

A review of this weekend's action in Super League.

  • Graeme Horne goes in for a Hull KR try
  • Brett Ferres: Spectacular try for Huddersfield 
  • Brett Kearney goes in for a Bradford try 
  • Joel Monaghan helps Warrington to victory on Friday night. 
  • Leeds enjoy their win over Salford. 

Hull KR got their Super League season up and running with an eight-try 44-18 demolition of Widnes at MS3 Craven Park.

Rovers had suffered back-to-back defeats by Catalan Dragons and Wakefield in their opening two matches but were too good for last season's wooden spoonists Widnes.

Eight different players contributed tries for Hull, with captain Michael Dobson opening the scoring in the eighth minute while he also added six goals.

Omari Caro, Dale Ferguson, Kris Welham, Graeme Horne, Greg Eden, Chris Heil and Craig Hall also crossed for the impressive hosts.

Rovers had the match all but wrapped up by half-time after establishing a 34-0 lead, before Widnes added some respectability with second-half scores from Gareth Hock, Rhys Hanbury and Alex Gerrard.

Ben Cockayne ran in two tries as Wakefield inflicted more misery on the London Broncos with a 28-0 victory at The Stoop.

Cockayne, who grabbed three tries against Hull KR last weekend, crossed for a try in each half as the Wildcats dominated from virtually first whistle to last.

Danny Kirmond, Peter Fox and Richie Mathers also crossed for the visitors who were never seriously tested.

For London, it was a third defeat on the bounce in the new season, with points difference keeping them off the foot of the table.

Wigan failed to overcome the absence of Sam Tomkins as they slumped to a first defeat of the season at the hands of leaders Huddersfield who won 22-10.

The Giants fought back from 10-0 down to secure another major scalp and take over at the top of Super League after three rounds with the only 100 per cent record.

Brett Ferres capped a terrific display by Paul Anderson's men with a 90-metre interception try in the last act of a pulsating encounter at the John Smith's Stadium.

Jamie Cording had earlier scored his first Super League try as Huddersfield continued their impressive start to the season, which began with a stunning victory at St Helens.

Wigan had started well with second rower Liam Farrell burrowing his way over for his third try in as many matches before taking Blake Green's defence-splitting pass to romp into space and send makeshift full-back Josh Charnley over.

With Pat Richards adding a conversion, Huddersfield had shipped as many points in the first 11 minutes as they conceded in their first two matches.

A Brett Kearney hat-trick helped Bradford claim their second Super League win of the season with a hard-fought 38-12 victory over a Castleford side that was reduced to 11 men at one stage.

The hosts held a 20-12 advantage when Justin Carney and Jamie Ellis were both sin-binned in quick succession for the visitors, allowing the Bulls to capitalise and extend their recent domination over their west Yorkshire neighbours at Odsal.

The Bulls have lost only twice in 18 games between the two since the inception of the Super League but, for much of this tough encounter, Cas showed the resilience that had earned them a shock 14-12 triumph over champions Leeds last week.

Bradford's otherb tries came from Adam Sidlow, Matty Blythe and Chev Walker, while Jamie Foster kicked seven goals.

Castleford's response was tries from Ellis and Kirk Dixon - both converted by Ellis who had a mixed day.

Winger Joel Monaghan scored twice as unbeaten Warrington ended Catalan Dragons' 100 per cent start to the Super League season with an ugly 24-16 win at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Australian crossed twice and Richie Myler added another as the Wolves claimed a crucial early lead in a scrappy, ill-disciplined and controversial contest.

Damien Blanch began a fightback with two tries but the game got beyond the Dragons, who twice saw Brent Webb sin-binned, when Rhys Evans touched down.

Zeb Taia reduced the arrears late on but the Wolves, who were unexpectedly without playmaker Lee Briers and played most of the game without early injury victim Adrian Morley, had done enough.

Joel Moon haunted former employers Salford as Leeds won 42-14 against Salford in their final Super League game before the World Club Challenge.

Australian centre Moon was snapped up by Leeds following an impressive season with the Reds last year - he scored 11 tries in 19 games - and touched down twice as part of a classy display.

He was not always joined in excellence by his team-mates as Salford occasionally made life difficult for Brian McDermott's reigning champions, but the Rhinos had enough about them to pull clear when they needed to.

Stevie Ward, Kallum Watkins, Paul McShane (2) and Kevin Sinfield also bagged tries for Leeds.

Ashley Gibson (2) and Niall Evalds went over for Salford.

Australian stand-off Daniel Holdsworth put Hull into a winning position but failed to secure the win in Friday night's 22-22 draw against St Helens at Langtree Park.

The Black and Whites fought back from 22-12 down to draw level with the aid of Richard Whiting's 72nd-minute try and should have taken both points after dominating the final quarter.

But Holdsworth, who had helped create all four of his side's tries and kicked three superb conversions, missed a kick to win it and was also wide with two long-range drop-goal attempts in a frantic finish.

That left St Helens relieved to salvage a point after once more looking distinctly out of sorts, despite the return from injury of influential hooker James Roby.

Jason Crookes, Shannon McDonnell and Tom Briscoe also scored tries for Hull. Anthony Laffranchi, Francis Meli, Jordan Turner and Josh Jones were the men to cross for St Helens.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week