Chase charged over challenge

  • Last Updated: February 11 2013, 17:08 GMT

Castleford stand-off Rangi Chase has been charged over the tackle that knocked out his England team-mate Zak Hardaker during the Tigers' 14-12 win over Super League champions Leeds.

Rangi Chase: Charged by the RFL's match-review panel
Rangi Chase: Charged by the RFL's match-review panel

Chase, the 2011 Man of Steel, was not punished at the time of the incident, but he has been charged with a reckless strike by the Rugby Football League's match-review panel and will appear in front of the disciplinary committee on Tuesday.

He is facing a grade B charge, which carries a ban of one to two matches.

Leeds coach Brian McDermott was critical of Chase's tackle and Hardaker, who suffered a concussion and had to be helped from the field, had no doubt about the illegality of the challenge.

"Don't get me wrong, I love a big hit. But when the elbow hits the end of your chin, something's saying it wasn't a good tackle! Just saying," he wrote on his Twitter account.

Catalan Dragons prop Julian Bousquet could be banned for up to five matches for the challenge that put Salford's French scrum-half Theo Fages in hospital.

Bousquet, 22, who was making only his fourth appearance in Super League, was sent off just three minutes into his side's 40-6 win over the City Reds in Perpignan on Saturday.

Bousquet, who made his debut for France against England in the final of the autumn international series in November, will also discover his fate on Tuesday when he is accused of intentionally striking with his shoulder, a grade D charge.

Fages, 18, who made his Super League debut against Wigan a week earlier, was knocked unconscious by the tackle and the game was held up for eight minutes as he received treatment on the pitch.

He was released from hospital later that night but was not cleared to fly and is still in France recovering at his family home.

He is now due to return to Manchester on Thursday and is expected to be out for two weeks.

Widnes prop Ben Cross, who was sent off for a late tackle in his side's 16-4 defeat by St Helens yesterday, has been charged with a grade B offence and has until 11am on Tuesday to submit an early guilty plea, which would result in a one-match ban.

The match-review panel ruled that the sin-binning of Widnes captain Jon Clarke in the same match was sufficient punishment, while Wigan scrum-half Matty Smith was issued with a warning for a dangerous lift in Friday's 17-17 draw with Warrington.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week