Wakefield stun Wigan

  • Last Updated: June 22 2014, 18:22 BST

A review of this week's action in the First Utility Super League.

Full-back Scott Grix celebrated his new contract with the opening try for Huddersfield
Full-back Scott Grix celebrated his new contract with the opening try for Huddersfield

Reece Lyne's late try made the difference as Wakefield Trinity Wildcats stunned defending First Utility Super League champions Wigan to record their first win over the Warriors since 2009.

A youthful Wigan side without the likes of Sean O'Loughlin, John Bateman and Matty Bowen played their part in an excellent match but ultimately fell to a 36-28 defeat.

Wakefield edged an entertaining first half which swung one way then the other thanks to tries from Danny Kirmond, Tim Smith, Richard Owen and Richard Moore.

Jack Hughes, Liam Farrell and Anthony Gelling crossed during a purple patch for Wigan, who had the first word in the second period as Farrell went over again.

Paul Sykes made it five from five with the boot to give the Wildcats the lead but it was short-lived, Dan Sarginson putting Wigan back in the box seat.

Danny Washbrook's try moved Wakefield back ahead and Lyne went over four minutes from time to claim the win and knock Wigan off top spot.

Leeds stand-off Danny McGuire bagged a brace of tries as the Rhinos fought off a valiant Widnes charge to take the points at the Select Security Stadium.

McGuire was at his creative, poaching best for the Rhinos and his two efforts either side of half-time proved to be the difference between the teams.

The Vikings had no less than seven players missing from their starting line-up from the side that faced Hull and Wigan last week and a 38-28 Leeds win would not have been a surprise.

Veteran Paul Wellens once more demonstrated his immense value to St Helens by guiding them to a comprehensive 38-16 win over First Utility Super League top-four rivals Castleford at Langtree Park.

The 34-year-old former Great Britain international, who registered the 1,000th point of his career in Saints' 30-28 win at Castleford earlier this year, scored two of his side's seven tries as they completed the double over the Challenge Cup semi-finalists.

Wellens proved a magnificent replacement for injured full-back Jonny Lomax as Saints bounced back from the humiliation of their 42-0 hammering by Catalan Dragons to move back to the top of the standings.

Chris Bridge's 16-point haul helped Warrington earn their seventh successive win as they beat Salford 36-20 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Bridge contributed a try and added six goals as the Wolves recovered from falling behind to an early Junior Sau try to make it five consecutive victories against the Red Devils, with loose forward Ben Harrison particularly impressive.

Warrington ran in six tries to Salford's four but it was not a five star performance from Tony Smith's men.

Full-back Scott Grix celebrated his new contract by putting Huddersfield on their way to an eighth win in nine Super League matches, 38-22 over London Broncos.

Grix, who this week penned a two-year deal, dived over in the left corner after an early breakaway by Craig Kopczak.

It was the start of a seven-try romp for in-form Huddersfield - who had beaten Leeds and Wigan in their last two outings.

Catalans Dragons overcame a late Hull FC comeback to seal a 20-16 victory to continue their recent impressive run of results.

Leon Pryce had a hand in three of four Catalan tries to seal an impressive performance for the Dragons' half back.

The sacking of Francis Cummins did little to halt Bradford's dive towards the Championship as they crashed to a 44-18 defeat against Hull KR in Matt Diskin's first game as player-coach.

Diskin delivered on his promise that his team would be fired-up following the disappointment of losing their popular head coach but their lack of confidence was all too evident as the Bulls frittered away a string of chances and defended woefully to concede eight tries.

Full-back Greg Eden and centre Craig Hall both touched down twice as below-strength Rovers cantered to a precious win that keeps alive their play-off hopes.

Josh Charnley destroyed Widnes almost single-handed with a five-try haul on his return from injury to help Wigan return to the top of the table for the first time since July last year.

The prolific 22-year-old missed 11 matches after damaging a knee in his side's Challenge Cup win at Dewsbury in April but it was as if he had never been away as he took his remarkable try tally for the club to 90 in just 81 Super League appearances.

The 48-4 win over a disappointing Widnes, in a round-two fixture postponed in February due to the Warriors' involvement in the World Club Challenge, completed a successful day's business for the reigning champions, who unveiled the re-signing of dual-code international Joel Tomkins at half-time to the delirious cheers of the 11,638 crowd.