Salford crush struggling Bulls

  • Last Updated: June 15 2014, 17:08 BST

A review of the weekend's action in the First Utility Super League, including Salford Red Devils' win over Bradford.

Salford Red Devils' Rangi Chase goes over for a try
Salford Red Devils' Rangi Chase goes over for a try

Bradford slipped further into relegation danger after being blown away by Salford in the first half of their must-win First Utility Super League fixture at the AJ Bell Stadium on Sunday.

It was the Rangi Chase show as the 2011 Man of Steel rang rings around the Bulls as the Red Devils cruised to a 46-18 victory, their first in eight league matches and their biggest of the season to ease the pressure on coach Iestyn Harris.

Chase scored two of his side's eight tries and, after taking on the goalkicking responsibility for the first time for his club, landed seven conversions to finish with 22 points in a man-of-the-match display.

Big-spending Salford now appear safe from relegation but Bradford look doomed following their failed appeal against their points deduction and Sunday's demoralising defeat by their fellow strugglers.

With Wakefield beating bottom club London Broncos on Friday night, the Bulls are now eight points adrift of the Wildcats with just 11 fixtures left to preserve their top-flight status.

On Saturday, Michael Oldfield scored a hat-trick of tries as Catalan Dragons maintained their excellent home form with a shock 42-0 thumping of St Helens.

Following a nip-and-tuck first half, the Dragons ran in 34 points in the final 26 minutes and successfully shut out the woeful Saints, who capitulated in the closing stages in Perpignan.

Thomas Bosc added five conversions to his try, while Vincent Duport crossed twice and Ian Henderson and Daryl Millard each touched down once.

Wigan Warriors gained a small measure of revenge over the Castleford Tigers as they ran in eight tries in a convincing victory at the DW Stadium.

Wigan were dumped out of the Tetley's Challenge Cup at the quarter-final stage last weekend by the Tigers but there was never any chance of another famous victory.

Wigan dominated the opening 40 minutes and ran in four tries with Dominic Manfredi and Jordan James crossing, in between a sensational interception score from Matty Bowen and youngster Joe Burgess getting in on the act.

This was a completely different Wigan performance to last week's as Sean O'Loughlin led from the front and was backed up by the likes of Matty Smith, who produced a sublime 40-20 near the end of the half, and Anthony Gelling.

Further tries in the second period to Liam Farrell, Michael McIlorum and Burgess saw the Warriors bounce back from two successive defeats in all competitions to claim the points.

Double-chasing Warrington maintained their mid-season sparkle with a sixth straight win in all competitions to avenge their shock home defeat by Hull KR.

The Wolves emerged from a scoreless first quarter to dominate the final hour, with centre Joel Monaghan scoring two of their six tries in a 34-4 triumph at the KC Lightstream Stadium.

James Webster tasted victory in his first game in charge of Wakefield after battling London Broncos slipped to their 16th successive Super League defeat.

The Broncos have failed to collect a single point all season but they led 10-4 leading into the final quarter of the match after first-half tries from Matt Cook and Thomas Minns.

But Wildcats forward Daniel Smith crashed over in the 65th minute and Matt Ryan added a late clincher to make it 18-20 and leave Joe Grima's side heartbroken.

Hull FC youngsters Callum Lancaster and Jamie Shaul helped themselves to hat-tricks as the Black and Whites embarrassed Widnes 56-6.