Wolves down sloppy Saints

  • Last Updated: May 18 2014, 20:33 BST

A review of the action at Super League's Magic Weekend in Manchester.

  • Castleford Tigers' Daryl Clark touches down for a try
  • Wigan won 18-4 against Leeds 
  • Hull KR enjoyed a 38-14 win over rivals Hull FC 
  • Widnes celebrate the 30-24 victory over Salford 
  • London lost 24-22 to Catalan Dragons 
  • Warrington's Ryan Atkins celebrates his try against St Helens 

A review of the action at Super League's Magic Weekend in Manchester.

St Helens missed the chance to return to the top of the First Utility Super League after their thrilling second-half fightback in the final match of the Magic Weekend in Manchester was cut short by a revitalised Warrington.

Threequarters Rhys Evans and Joel Monaghan each scored two of the Wolves' eight tries in a 41-24 success which was sweet revenge for a 38-8 mauling at home by Saints in their opening match of the season.

Saints were heading for a humiliating derby defeat when they trailed 36-6 early in the second half but they rallied superbly to provide fitting entertainment for a second-day crowd of 28,214, which helped establish a Magic Weekend attendance record of 64,552, eclipsing the previous best aggregate of 63,716 at the Etihad Stadium in 2012.

It was Warrington's sixth win in eight Magic Weekend fixtures and will give breathe new life into their flagging campaign.

Classy Castleford got their First Utility Super League title charge back on track with a ruthless demolition of a poor Wakefield in a mismatched start to Sunday's action.

Stand-off Marc Sneyd was the star of the one-sided show with two of his side's nine tries and seven goals in a 50-12 triumph as the Tigers bounced back from successive defeats to reclaim third place in the table.

Huddersfield showed no mercy to their stricken neighbours Bradford as they cruised to a fifth straight win to consolidate their place in the top six of the First Utility Super League.

The Giants had nine different tryscorers as they revelled in ideal conditions at the Etihad Stadium to pile on more agony for relegation-threatened Bradford with a 54-16 triumph.

Winners by 66-18 at Odsal in March, Huddersfield beat the Bulls 42-6 at the 2013 Magic Weekend and they once again had too much pace and power for an under-strength side who had just one specialist prop and a rather inexperienced bench.

Reigning champions Wigan brought down the curtain on an enthralling opening day with an epic 18-14 victory over Super League leaders Leeds.

The Rhinos trailed 18-4 early in the second half but thought they had completed a remarkable fightback when Joel Moon went over four minutes from the end only to have his try disallowed by the video referee.

It was a pulsating finish to the top-of-the-bill showdown that lived up to all expectations and kept the single-day Magic Weekend record crowd of 36,339 so engrossed in the non-stop action that it took them until the second half of the final game to come up with the traditional Mexican Wave.

The Rhinos' second defeat of the season will now give St Helens the chance to go top of the table when they meet Warrington in the final match of the two-day spectacular on Sunday while some of the gloss was removed from Wigan's famous win by the loss of stand-off Blake Green with a ruptured bicep.

Anthony Gelling, Green and Michael Mcllorum scored Wigan's tries, while Ryan Hall (2) and Carl Ablett went over for Leeds.

Hull KR secured another derby victory over Hull FC against the surreal backdrop of Hull City playing in the FA Cup final on Saturday afternoon.

Rovers won 38-24 with their tries coming from Liam Salter (2), Ade Gardner (2), Kevin Larroyer and David Hodgson.

The tries for Hull FC were scored by Dean Hadley, Jamie Shaul, Danny Houghton and Feka Paleaaesina.

Hull FC's Jason Crookes was sent off for a head-high hit on Salter that referee Richard Silverwood deemed worthy of an early bath.

Widnes gained their first Magic Weekend success at the third attempt after winning an 11-try thriller in the Manchester sunshine to leave Salford without a victory in their last six matches.

The Red Devils twice held the lead and had a chance to draw level with seven minutes left but Vikings winger Paddy Flynn grabbed his second try in the closing moments to clinch a 30-24 triumph.

The Vikings were indebted to Kevin Brown, who shaded his stand-off duel with Rangi Chase, who made a full contribution to a wonderful free-flowing encounter.

Jack Owens, Chris Dean, Lloyd White and Rhys Hanbury also scored tries for Widnes, while Junior Sau, Rangi Chase, Matty Ashurst, Danny Williams and Francis Meli went over for Salford.

Josh Drinkwater's failed conversion of his own try denied London what would have been a first point of the 2014 season as they lost the Magic Weekend opener 24-22 to Catalan Dragons.

The scrum-half's show-and-go score with seven minutes left had looked set to bring his side level for a second time but he was unable to nail his conversion from just to the right of the posts.

It was rough justice on Drinkwater and London, who had looked set to finally break their duck for the season at the 13th time of asking.

They trailed 18-6 and 24-18 during the afternoon and new coach Joe Grima will surely feel - like many of the neutrals inside the Etihad Stadium did - that they deserved more.

Nothing was what they got, though, which belied their performance.

Mason Caton-Brown (2) and James Greenwood also crossed the whitewash for London, while the Dragons' tries came from Vincent Duport, Elliott Whitehead and Oliver Lima.

New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30